CHAPTER FOUR

London, England 1813

The season's opening ball at Danbury House is a most highly sought-after invitation, indeed, for every darling debutant from Park Lane to Regent Street will be on display.

Over in the Morrigan household, Poppy tightened the last string to Betty's corset, her deep navy blue gown now flush against her core, giving her the perfect figure and absolutely, positively no room to breathe. "Again, Poppy?! Why must you tie this torture device so bloody tight?"

"Sorry, ma'am. Direct orders from your Mama, I'm afraid." Poppy looked directly at her through the mirror, giving the young girl a soft smile. She knew that by the end of the night, Betty would most certainly crawl into bed and cry herself to sleep and it was Poppy's job to stop the gates to the dam from flooding open. She gently whispered in the young girl's ear, "I'll be here when you get back." Poppy nodded to Betty in the mirror before heading out of her room to give the girl a moment alone.

Betty took one good hard look at herself in the mirror, but all she could see was a broken doll staring back at her. She looked beautiful, there was no doubt about that, but there was a spark missing from her heart. She turned, looking over her shoulder to check her backside. The deep midnight blue satin did wonders for her. It was rather simple, just puffy sleeves and a simple ruffle along the bottom of the dress, just above her ankles to give her a classy and cultivated look that would surely turn heads.

She faced forward again, her eyes glancing up and down at the unrecognizable figure standing before her. She stood tall, with her shoulders back, and forced a brave smile onto her face. For it was now time to play the part of the perfect, prim, proper lady she was raised to be. She would smile and play the part, so long as it kept her tyrannical mother who was desperate for an early Summer wedding occupied.

Titled, chast, and innocent, this is what they have been raised and trained for since birth. Tonight, we shall discover which young ladies might succeed at securing a match, thereby avoiding the dreadful, dismal condition known as "the spinster." A condition, this author anticipates Betty Morrigan might be tempting and toying with throughout this fateful season...

As their carriage departed for Lady Danbury's ball, something in the air had shifted. Tensions rose and anxiety was looming over the entire Morrigan family. For Rebekah, it was the unknown of how tonight's soiree would go down. Will her daughter be able to overcome the whispers and watchful eyes? Will her son finally accept the fact that their dukedom relies on his shoulders and declaring his intentions to marry was his honor and duty?

For James, he was reluctant to forgo his life as an eligible bachelor. Why should he be forced to settle down now? After all, he's only 24 and there was so much more to see and do in life than a meaningless, loveless marriage. Back at home, for Francis and Inez who patiently waited to hear about tonight's events, it was their job to navigate the rough waters if things went south. Would it be smooth sailing or would there be rocky shores ahead?