Don't be sorry (5)

LANEY'S POV

"Laney, can you come help me with this?" George shouted from across the house.

It was sort of late at night, and I honestly had no idea what he'd be needing help with, but I pranced out of my room anyways.

Soon enough, I'd approached a struggling George trying to slide a mattress across the apartment floor.

Without saying anything, I quickly went over to help him.

"Where are we putting this?" I questioned as we stopped for a second to catch our breath.

"We'll have to take my old mattress off and then stick on the bed." He replied, wiping his sweaty forehead.

I thought he said he was getting a new mattress so I wouldn't have to sleep in his bed...? Maybe I was crazy, but I'm almost certain that he never said anything about replacing his mattress. But hey, whatever.

"So, am I just gonna sleep on your old mattress or...?" I trailed off.

"Nah, we'll just scrap it. That thing's super worn out anyways. You can just sleep in my bed, but you're gonna have to make some room cause the couch is starting to get uncomfortable." He chuckled casually.

Why couldn't I just sleep on the couch...? Like, there wasn't a rule saying I couldn't. The only thing really stopping me from doing so was George's insistence.

"Oh, I can sleep on the couch. I don't mind." I offered.

"No, you sleep in the bed. The couch is too uncomfortable." He insisted.

Of course he'd say that.

I didn't even respond. I was grateful he was letting me stay with him and sleep in his bed, but did he not take into account that I might not be quite comfortable sharing a bed with him? Mind you, his bed is only a twin size bed, so we'd definitely be packed in like sardines.

"Alright, let's get the mattress off." He spoke, snapping me out of my short mental rant.

Easily, we slide his old mattress off and replaced it with the new one. The two of us stood back for a moment, examining everything to make sure it all looked right.

"Well, you wanna try it out or should I?" George spoke up, looking over to me with a silly smirk.

"I guess I will." I laughed as I threw myself onto the mattress.

"Dang, there's no bounce to it." I said.

"Why do you need it to be bouncy?" He laughed, laying himself beside be.

"Bouncy mattresses are just always better." I replied.

"Oh yeah? And how do you know that?" He joked.

"Well I've never told anyone this, but I'm actually secretly a professional mattress tester so..." I said studiously, continuing the joke.

"Oh so that explains where you get the money to have millions of CD's huh?" He laughed.

"I don't know." I shrugged with a smug look on my face.

I looked over at his laughing face, and something about the moment was so peaceful. It felt like I was living through a core memory or something.