Chapter 4

Leia

As I sat there, staring blankly at the single sheet of paper in my hands, the words etched upon it seemed to sear into my consciousness like hot coals. "I'm so sorry to have to do this..." Derek's words echoed in my mind, each syllable a cruel reminder of his abandonment, his betrayal.

My lips quivered involuntarily, but the rest of me remained frozen, trapped in a state of shock that seemed to constrict my very existence. I felt as though I couldn't move, couldn't breathe as if the weight of Derek's desertion was pressing down on me, suffocating me with its unbearable heaviness.

My mouth was dry, and parched, every breath a struggle against the suffocating grip of despair that threatened to overwhelm me. And my heart—oh, my heart—it wasn't pounding in my chest where it belonged, but in my stomach, a heavy, throbbing weight that made me feel dizzy, nauseous.

The weight of Derek's betrayal bore down on me like a boulder, crushing every ounce of hope I had left. How could he do this to me? How could he just walk away without a second thought, leaving me to pick up the shattered pieces of my heart?

I replayed his words in my mind, each syllable a sharp knife twisting deeper into the wound he had inflicted. "I'm so sorry to have to do this..." The memory of his voice was like a dagger to my soul, tearing me apart with its cruelty.

But amidst the pain and the heartache, there was a glimmer of something else—anger. How dare he make me feel this way? How dare he waltz in and out of my life as if I meant nothing to him?

Suddenly, the silence was broken by the frantic voice of my uncle, his words laced with urgency. "It's time and no one is there. Oh god, how do I get out there and let all those waiting people know about—"

"You don't need to," Karson interjected grimly, snapping me out of my daze. His voice was sharp, filled with a bitterness that mirrored my own. "I've already had someone see to it," he paused looking at me. "I thought it was for the best."

I looked at him, my doubts swirling like a storm inside me. How could anything be for the best when my world was crumbling around me? But before I could voice my thoughts, the sound of a car pulling up outside shattered the fragile silence, signaling the arrival of the first horrified guests returning from the church.

Too soon, I thought numbly, feeling wholly unprepared to face them, to face their pity, their judgment.

"Leia!"

Karson's voice pierced through the haze of my thoughts, raw with concern. Before I could react, I felt myself being caught, my body slumping forward sickeningly.

"I can't see anyone," I whispered hoarsely, my voice barely a thread of sound. "I don't want to. It's too much to handle."

"Don't worry you won't have to, no one will force you to," Karson murmured, his arms a reassuring anchor around me, holding me steady amidst the chaos that threatened to engulf us both.

But before I could find solace in his embrace, the door burst open, and I trembled violently, overcome with a sense of dread.

"Leia!"

The voice was high-pitched, near hysterical, and I recoiled instinctively, seeking refuge in Karson's arms.

"No, I can't" I whimpered against his shoulder, the tears stinging my eyes. "No..."

I couldn't bear it—the pity, the sympathy, the overwhelming weight of their expectations. I just wanted to disappear, to fade into the darkness and never be seen again.

Karson must have sensed my distress, for suddenly he was lifting me up, cradling me against his chest, shielding me from the world outside.

"Gosh, she just fainted," he lied, his voice steady despite the turmoil raging inside me. "Show me a room, Mrs. Lancaster—show me a room where I can put her in."

"Oh, my poor Leia!" My aunt's voice was a heartbreaking lament, filled with sorrow and despair. I wanted to reach out to her, to comfort her, but I couldn't find the strength.

Uncle Joel moved to her side, offering what little solace he could, while Karson muttered something beneath his breath and carried me out of the room, away from the prying eyes and sympathetic gazes.

As he carried me up the stairs, I buried my face in his shoulder.

Despite everything, I couldn't help but feel grateful for his presence, for his unwavering support in my darkest hour.

Fingers crossed, Hope you will like it!