Chapter 8

Leia

How long I stood there in front of the mirror watching my own reflection, I couldn't say because I didn't know. I couldn't allow myself to think or feel too deeply because it hurt me violently making me bleed from the inside. But somewhere in the dim sense of my consciousness, I heard urgent knocks on my bedroom door, one after another. There were voices—my aunt's high-pitched and shrill, Sarah, my best friend's voice clear and demanding. Karson's deep murmurs blended with theirs, saying god knows what.

What lies was he feeding them? What lies had been fed to all the people who had come down there to attend the wedding? My heartbeat rose as thorns of anxiety tried to creep up my skin to my neck. I took in deep breaths the murmur of their voices fading. I didn't care what Karson spoke of, as long as he kept everyone away from me I welcomed his presence.

I heard the sound of the door being shut close making me breathe with ease. Their presence almost felt like a heavy weight on my chest. The silence returned, a comforting kind of silence that allowed me to meet my eyes in the reflection in the mirror.

These few minutes were mine alone to process what I had become.

A jilted bride.

A bitter smile tugged at the corner of my mouth. Humiliation filled the void where my heart used to be. I was a fool, I admitted harshly, for ever believing Karson Kingston would let me marry his nephew.

From the moment I stood before him, hand in Derek's possessively, I knew Karson would do whatever it took to break us apart.

Derek...

Read the full chapter on INKITT Please! I would be very grateful to you guys.

Fingers crossed and holding my breath in nervousness. Please let me know how you feel about this chapter. It would be really helpful to me everyone!

Thank you very much for reading.