Chapter 4

Keira took a deep breath before he ended up with no head. Did he think that his tone of voice would stop her from leaving? She wanted to put him in his place for his rude remarks earlier.

Be nice, Sabelina said. He doesn't know.

"I don't like cherry," she said instead.

He didn't expect that. The surprise was evident on his chiseled face.

"What?" He asked confused.

"Your lover," Keira clarified. "You have a cherry-flavored scent around you. We're not a big fan of the flavor."

Keira could tell that her words had struck a nerve. The tick on the jaw was back.

"Captain Grace!" A voice called out interrupting whatever he was going to say next.

"Nigel," Keira replied in the same tone of voice. "How good it is to see you again."

"Captain-" Nigel stopped as he recognized the figure before her.

"I'm sorry sir," Nigel said bowing. "I didn't mean to interrupt."

He must know that Nigel is human, Keira thought as her mate didn't scold him for interrupting. Nigel couldn't have known that another wolf was with me.

Instead of saying anything, the figure before her left without another word. The darkness swallowed him up as if he wasn't even there.

"Are you alright, Captain?" Nigel asked concerned.

"I'm fine," Keira replied. "I was looking for someone to get us checked in."

"My apologies, " Nigel said as he led them back to where everyone else was waiting. "We had to adjust your accommodations at the last minute but your rooms are prepared."

"Rooms?" Keira asked surprised. "We were told only one room for us. Same as last time."

"This time it's different," Nigel replied. "They're been some changes, as you no doubt noticed."

Is he referring to our mate? Sabelina asked.

"Yes," Keira agreed. "Things have changed."

When they got to the waiting area, Keira saw her team waiting around for her.

"You found someone," Montego commented as everyone stood up.

"I'm Nigel," Nigel introduced himself. "If you'll follow me I'll show you to your rooms."

Instead of complaining that it took so long for them to get situated, everyone followed Nigel as he led them to their rooms. They were ready to relax and take a breather after such a long trip.

"Your luggage has been already brought up," Nigel informed everyone as he stopped in front of a door to open it. "Towels and amenities have been placed for you to use. If anything is needed, please dial 2."

"Captain," Nigel said directing Keira's attention to his as the door closed behind Connor. "You have a separate room."

Keira smiled and followed after Nigel. She didn't want to seem ungrateful but she knew it had something to do with her unnamed mate.

"Your room is through this door," Nigel said pointing to it.

"Nigel," Keira asked before he could continue.

"Yes, Captain?"

"Who was I speaking to earlier?" Keira needed to know his name if she was going to reject him.

"That's General Donovan," Nigel replied. "He's in charge of the King's forces but has his pack on the other side of the mountains. This is the first time in 5 years that he's shown up for a gathering."