Chapter 6

The King looked up from the paperwork before him and leaned back. He had this odd look on his face.

"I don't think you have that authority," General Donovan stated breaking the silence that fell on the group. "You forget, you're a guest and should act accordingly."

"As a guest, I have the right to know what's going to happen to the Task Force," Tom growled. "They are no longer needed. They are taking up too much money and resources that could be given to those in need."

"You're wrong," Keira said looking at Tom. "We don't take our resources and money from the King."

"What?" Tom asked confused.

His confusion was echoed by the rest of the group.

"The Task Force comes out of my private fund and other contracts my grandfather had in place before he passed," Keira continued. "The Task Force funds itself. Your "payment" to us is your fee for over-the-road expenses."

"You're still not needed," Tom muttered under his breath. It was loud enough for her to hear.

"If you have something to say," the General said eyeing the alpha with a menacing look. "Why don't you speak louder so the King can hear."

"Your Majesty," Keira said speaking up and glaring at the alpha. "If it's alright with you, I propose discussing the future of the Task Force before we continue with other matters."

King Richard sat in silence, deep in thought.

"We'll begin with the Task Force," the King said after a moment of silence.

There were several murmurs around the table. The King wasn't known to deviate from his agenda.

It can't be because I requested it...Keira had to wonder.

"We will discuss the disbanding or keeping of the Task Force," the King continued. "The floor is open to anyone who wishes to comment. But first, Captain Grace why don't you tell everyone what the Task Force does."

Keira stood up and began, "The Task Force works under the authorization of the King. We are an extension of the King's forces, we go where he can't. Our alliance is to the King.

We don't take any orders from anyone. This allows us to deal with any issues with any territory. We can act as an investigation unit or extra security. In most cases, we hunt and punish rogue werewolves who threaten the kingdom and peace."

Keira sat down and waited to see what the rest of the Alpha's had to say.

"I want my pack to deal with any issues that may arise," Alpha Tom began. "If a rogue appears near my lands I want my pack to deal with it. Not outsiders."

Since when are we outsiders! Sabelina growled. We go places that other packs can't!

Settle down! Keira said to her.

"Besides investigating and security I just don't see the reason behind the Task Force any longer," Alpha Collins said speaking up. "At one point I know they were needed but now it just doesn't make sense to have them any longer."

"Maybe the Task Force can be deactivated for the time being," Alpha Eric commented. "If the need for the Task Force ever arises again, we can call on them."

There were a few murmurs from the Alpha's around the room. Keira looked around the room as a few more Alphas spoke up. At this point, it was only a matter of time before the King would ask for a vote. Sure enough, the King stood up.

This is it, Keira thought bracing herself for what was to come.

"Before we vote," the King began. "I will remind everyone of the contract that everyone signed when they took over the Alpha position for your packs. I would suggest everyone review this context before deciding."