Zero: Gone ~ Part Two

A/N: This is a direct continuation from chapter eighty-three, and the last part of Emerging, in case you're a little confused!

**

Monday, 30th June, 1997

I wanted to desperately believe I had heard it wrong, and that Draco hadn't just Disapparated with the rest of the Death Eaters. I shook my head and frantically searched once again for any trace of him.

The silence that followed was jarring and it was the loudest message I could hear – he was gone. I had really, properly lost him this time. He was no longer mine, and the thought alone made me want to die.

Harry groaned in pain and fell back down to the floor. He looked a little faint. I could only assume whatever hexes and curses he had been hit with were taking a delayed effect. Without thinking, I bent down and checked for any obvious injuries.

I rubbed his shoulder gently and my own chest was pounding so hard that I felt like I could pass out too. I wanted to be in the moment and be there for Harry, but all I could focus on was the fact Draco was alone with them all. He was going away somewhere with those awful people, who corrupted him and ruined his life.

"Harry, is there anything I can do to help?" I asked, my eyes darting all over his face,

"I'll be fine," Harry nodded, wincing as he tried to move, "Go and find Ron or Hermione, they know a little of what's happened. Or even go and get Hannah if you'd be more comfortable with that. Go and be with someone else. You need to leave, Maddie,"

"Come on, let me help you up," I put my arm around his shoulder, ignoring his protests.

With every ounce of strength I had, I hoisted Harry up from the grassy floor. He was leaning all of his weight on me, and slowly, we began walking around the castle grounds to find someone who could help us.

**

In the not too far distance, I could see a huge crowd of people. I couldn't see what they were gathering around, but I could only assume it was Dumbledore's body. I didn't want to say anything to Harry just yet and potentially upset him some more, so I kept it to myself for a little while longer.

I couldn't help but wonder where Draco was, and who he was with. I just hoped with every single fibre of my being that he was safe, and he wasn't hurt at all.

Even though Harry wasn't too much taller than me, he certainly weighed more, and I was exhausted from helping him walk back to the castle. I was also emotionally done for. I wasn't sure how much more I could deal with. I hoped nothing else would happen tonight.

"You don't have to help me you know, Maddie. I feel like I'm too much for you," Harry panted through heavy breaths,

"You're not," I lied, "I think I can see Ginny from here. We won't be much longer," I added, glad at being able to say something helpful to him.

**

With Harry still draped over my shoulder, and assisting him to the crowd, that he had now noticed, I couldn't be gladder to see Hannah, who was being held by Seamus.

I wondered how much people knew of what happened tonight. I got a strange pinch in my chest as I thought of Draco being held responsible.