Five: Twisted

**

Wednesday, 1st October, 1997

The past month had been a total blur. Each day blended into one – it was the same thing... the same sadness, the same uncertainty, and the same anxiety. No one laughed anymore, barely anyone talked, it was all awful.

I think since returning at the start of September, I've said around twenty words to Draco. It certainly wasn't from lack of trying, because whilst I've said much more than twenty, he had only ever responded to me a handful of times. He mainly just ignored me or pretended I don't exist.

That hurts way more than the anger or revulsion. I would take him being cruel to me over him ignoring me a million times over.

I still wasn't eating or sleeping properly, and I knew my friends were worried for me. Sitting in the Great Hall was definitely a lot easier to manage, but actually eating was a completely different story. I was hungry a lot of the time, so it wasn't the issue of zero appetite anymore, but I simply could not ingest anything.

Even though I wasn't eating much, and I did try, almost every day. I thought that joining my friends at least once a day in the Great Hall was still good progress.

Adjusting to Snape being our Headmaster was a lot harder than I was expecting it to. Knowing he had killed Dumbledore sat heavier on my chest than I thought it would.

It seemed the only time Draco and I would actually communicate in any way would be when Snape was near. It was something we shared – and whether he hated me or not, he knew that I was there that night in late June.

We never spoke out loud about it, but our eyes would instantly snap to one another when Snape would appear either in the Great Hall or in our classrooms or in the corridors. It was this fucked-up bond we had.

People were still convinced that Draco was the one who actually cast the Killing Curse, and I said over and over that wasn't the case. No one believed me, of course. I don't entirely blame them either, because the last time I defended Draco on something, I turned out to be only one in the wrong.

I wasn't even sure that Hannah and the other girls believed me, but they were still there for me regardless.

The only other person who knew the truth wasn't here either. Harry, Ron, and Hermione never came back to Hogwarts. There had been all kinds of whispers and rumours of their whereabouts, each as unlikely as the next. I wasn't sure what to think, but I did know they were doing something important.

**

We were in Defence Against the Dark Arts, or what Amycus liked to shorten down to the Dark Arts. Which I guess was a little more accurate, because we weren't learning how to defend ourselves or recognise the dangers, but rather, the Dark Arts itself.

I was convinced the sick bastard had done the seating arrangement on purpose. I was in the front and centre of his classroom, and I was completely surrounded by the Slytherins. On my right was Blaise and Goyle. On my left was Pansy and Daphne. Behind me was Draco and Crabbe. Right beside me was of course, Theo.

All of the other Hufflepuffs were scattered together at the back of the classroom and as far away from me as possible.

I could have sworn he had a twisted and satisfied glint in his eye whenever he looked at me speaking to any of the people around me. Even more so when Draco was scowling at me.

We learned pretty quickly that Amycus and his sister, Alecto, were Death Eaters too. Knowing that people associated Draco with those two made me feel sick to my stomach. Even with all of his faults, I knew he was nothing like Amycus or Alecto.