Chapter 4

I had a hard time leaving my apartment today while getting ready to go to work

I had a hard time leaving my apartment today while getting ready to go to work. After the message I had gotten yesterday I have been on high alert. Every time my phone goes off I feel like my heart stops beating for a few seconds. Even though it was a unknown number who had texted me, I knew exactly who it was by the nickname they called me.

Princess.

I had always hated that nickname, especially coming from him. The text had scared me enough that I had gone back to the apartment that day, deciding to put my shopping trip for another day. I am currently walking to the club for my shift tonight and I still can't brush off this unsettling feeling in my gut. I wanted to stay home with Amelia and watch movies, but we needed the money.

Especially now that I know he knows where we are, we are no longer safe here. So if I can manage to save up a decent amount of money, we can maybe leave New York and head somewhere else. Somewhere more secluded.

"Hey Lucy." David the guard outside the club greeted me with a smile on his face. David is a nice guy and he always makes sure to greet us ladies as we head in for our shift. From his looks you would never take him as a nice approachable guy.

"Hey David." He looks at me for a second before he looks behind me his eyebrows furrowed with confusion which makes me look towards the direction he was looking. I didn't see anything out of the blue, but my eyes weren't as trained and skilled as his.

"Is everything okay?" I asked him as I felt the goosebumps appear on my arms. Did someone follow me or is there someone else that is maybe banned from the club and isn't allowed in. I just knew whatever he was looking at made him on alert.

"Yeah, have a good shift tonight Lucy." He looks down at me with a smile that did nothing to ease my nerves as I entered the club. The bright club lights and loud music didn't help with my growing nerves instead it just made it worse by giving me a bloody headache.

I make my way to the female staff changing room to change into my work clothes. As I entered the room I let out a deep breath as I saw that I was the only one in here. I really didn't want to be surrounded by anyone right now, I was already so overwhelmed I couldn't handle any human interactions right now. I opened my locker putting my jacket and clothes that I had changed out of into it.

I walk over to the mirror and put my hair into a high ponytail before taking a look at my own reflection. My skin was paler than normal and I looked like absolute shite, I had large bags under my eyes showing the evidence of my sleepless night. I had so much trouble falling asleep last, even with Amelia laying next to me in a deep content slumber in my bed. I had refused to let her out of my sight at all last night, I wanted her next to me at all times.

Being here at work and not back at the apartment with her is actual torture. I know she is safe but it doesn't make me worry any less, I am her mother I should be home watching over her. I splash some water on my face before leaving the changing room, I then make my way towards the bar to see if there are any orders that need to be taken.

Mafia Series: Second ChanceOn viuen les histories. Descobreix ara