TWO

▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅
CHAPTER TWO | sing, Bucky, sing |
▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅

The pair of best friends both walked towards the bar together. A flow of light music and laughter was all around them.

"I can't believe your sisters here." Bucky said and Gale agreed.

"Mean either." He started. "I don't want her to see the things we see Bucky."

"What do you mean? She's a pilot." Bucky reminded him but Gale seemed conflicted.

To lighten the mood John ordered two drinks before he began to start the banter between them. Ever since boot camp they had both been inseparable. Even now in the midst of the war they still are.

"Thank god she's your sister, for a second I thought you were cheating on Marge."

Buck sent him a look with one eyebrow raised.

"I would never." He replied and John nodded in agreement.

"Well you've always been a ladies man." Bucky reminded him.

After a short while they had both finished their drinks. Bucky had an Irish whisky on the rocks. Buck didn't drink, he had a root beer.

"Gale!" A shouting voice made them both turn around only too see the dirty blonde woman heading towards them.

"Where the fuck have you been." Lucy asked and he dipped his head with a smile.

"He's been with me, darling." Bucky replied for him.

For a while Lucy looked up at the man who had just called her darling. He was rather handsome but it would seem his personality is the ruining factor for her.

"Well leave." She said wanting to spend some quality time with her own brother, without this man. Though she did admit that was a bit harsh.

"Why don't we all stay together. Have a few drinks?" Bucky asked as he took a sip of his own clear glass.

"Gale doesn't drink." Lucky reminded him.

"Right but you do. Don't you Lucy." Bucky pulled at her strings only making her more angry before Gale finally cut in.

"Guys, come on. I don't want my best friend and sister fighting." Buck stopped the pair of them.

On the mention of his best friend Lucy's head snapped his way. Before she lifted a single finger and pointed at John. That explained why John knew so much about her earlier.

"This is John Egan?" She questioned.

"The one and only." John said before adding. "I prefer Bucky."

"Alright, John." She said just to row him.

He didn't get annoyed. He simply laughed.

"Alright, Lucky." He then mirrored her response with his own quip comeback.

Lucy looked at her brother. Giving him the ' why the hell are you friends with him' look. Gale simply shrugged in response.

The music changed to a more county rock type on the record player. It was even louder know amongst the chatter of the other men and the few woman.

"Oh I love this song." Bucky said and started clicking his fingers. In a swift move he placed his glass down on the bar and started to dance beside them.

He was rather strange in Lucy's eyes but it was amusing. The sight bought a smile onto her features and the other men around them seemed to be rather interested in Buckys movements too.

It became rather clear to Lucy that Gale had been rather moderate in his letters. The 100th bomb group loved him and John more than anything, they looked up to the pair.

"Come on Buck stop him!" One voice shouted referring to Bucky as he began to stagger up to the microphone in the middle of dance floor.

"What's he doing?" Lucy asked taking
Buckys place beside her brother.

"He's going to sing. I'd cover your ears if I were you."

"Is he really that bad?"

"Yes, he is." Gale laughed and shook his head.

The sounds that came out of John Evan's mouth should have been criminal. It wasn't actually that bad as Gale had described. But it was more seductive to Lucy. For every note he sang he looked around but his eyes always fell upon her own before he would wink and smirk at her then turn around.

Luckys thoughts were cut off by her brothers voice.

"Why did you became a pilot?" He seemed to almost he pleading with her.

"Because it was our dream and after you left there wasn't much else to do." Lucy joked.

"Lucy, I'm being serious. It gets real dangerous up in the sky's." His tone changed from its normal to one of pressing authority.

One he only used to use when they were young children and pulling an array of pranks on their neighbours, none of which Gale liked to join in on. He would just sit back and watch then when she eventually got caught he would jump in and save her, every time he saved her.

"Because I want to save you for once."

Gale went quiet after that before exuding himself to go and get her and him a drink. Bucky's song finished and he staggered back to her side.

"Where did Buck go?"

"Drinks." She pondered for a moment. "Why do you always call him Buck?"

She knew the story of the nickname by Gales letters but she wanted to hear it from Bucky as well.

"Because I love him enough to give him my name." Bucky said and smiled down at Lucy.

She smiled and shook her head, her hands crossing over one another.

So the story was false.

"That wasn't quite the story he told me."

"Well that would make you the only person who knows why I call him Buck." Bucky hummed and moved his face further down to go eye or eye with Lucy.

"What an honour." She said.

God this man was handsome.

"It is." He replied. Their faces were inevitably, rather close.

A rough hand then pushed Johns shoulder back making him rise to his original height and away from Lucy as he saw Gale stood there with two drinks in his hand.

"No fishy business, John." Gale said and gave Lucy her drink.

"I would never." John concluded the night.