FOUR

▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅
CHAPTER FOUR| my living legend |
▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅

The plane landed with a jolt over five minutes ago. The remaining crew of Luckys baby didn't say a word. Each one of them exited the plane as the mechanics team rushed over to fix up the bits of the ship that was damaged.

They had reached there target and the bombs had been dropped but at what cost?

The cost of two of the crews lives. David Smith and Matt Lancaster both died aboard that plane today and now all Lucy could do was stare at the sky.

David got hit by enemy fire that came through the sides of the plane and Matt had the same happen to him. Half his face was gone when he came out of that plane, and announced dead on site by the medical team that had rushed over upon arrival.

Matt was still alive when the plane landed. But the doctor said there was nothing he could do to save him. He had already lost too much blood from the wound in the side of his waist.

Hours ago she was in a lighthearted mood about to take off. Now she sat in the back on a truck, two men down, with a heavy feeling weighing down her heart.

She knew that loses would occur. She just didn't ever expect it to happen to her crew so soon. It was clearly a devastating loss for the group as not even Richy spoke a word the entire trip back to the cabins and buildings.

No one said anything. They hardly even moved. It was as if they were the dead ones.

"I-I'm really sorry guys." Richy broke the silence and rubbed his sniffling nose.

"What you sorry for?" Many mumbled back.

"David and Matt." He whispered out. His voice cracking.

"It's not your fault." Lucy told him. Partly because it wasn't but mostly because of anything it was her own fault seeing as she was the pilot.

"Thank you lucky." They all said one by one as the truck finally came to a harsh halt outside the dinning hall.

"You guys go on without me." She told them and watched them walk away. She didn't have an appetite after the things she had seen today.

All she needed was to be left alone. Somwhere quiet and secluded. She chose to sit down on the wing of one of the nearby planes.

The sun was just not setting leaving it to mix with the orange, yellow and pink. It was quite beautiful even with the odd cloud here and there.

Lucy knew she would need to go and see Gale after this. She knew he had made it when she saw his plane land down smoothly. But she just wanted to talk to him, or to hug him. Something that would her feel better, anything that would make her feel better.

The sound of footsteps climbing up the ladder to the planes wing suddenly caught Lucy's attention. Someone was joining her.

"What do you want." She called out not knowing who it was and not bothering to turn around.

She got no reply only making her sigh and finally turn around. Only to come face to face with John Egan stalking towards her before sitting down next to her.

"Shitty day?" He asked to which Lucy replied with a curt nod.

It had been a very shitty day. Especially for the 100th bomber group seeing as they lost three planes and several more people on other ones.

"You can't even imagine." Lucy said and rubbed her hands down her face.

"I probably can." Bucky reminded her and she gave him yet another nod.

"Probably." She said.

The pair of pilots sat in silence for a few minutes admiring the sunset in front of them. Despite all the death and killing today they found some comfort in watching the sky together.
Even if they weren't overly fond of one another.

"Why are you sitting on my plane then?" Bucky asked out of the blue.

"Are you fucking with me right now, John?" Lucy replied and he smirked his signature dimples falling into place.

"Stop calling me John and I'll think about not telling the CO that you were vandalising my plane."

Vandalising? Oh he had got to be joking. It would seem he just really didn't like the name John, but Lucy loved to tease the shit out of him. There was no way in hell she would call him Bucky, ever.

"I never took you for a snitch, John Egan." She teased and he shook his head with a smile permanently edged onto his cheeks.

"Things always change when a beautiful woman in around." His words made Lucy hold her breath in before she exhaled all her longing.

"You think I'm beautiful?" She then said with a smile. "John." She added.

He seemed to also give in at this point. The only name that Lucy would call him would be John. Unless he did somthing to surprise her, make her laugh.

"If you don't stop it's your own funeral." John jokingly warned.

"It's your own funeral." Lucy mimicked in his deep raspy voice thoigh she didn't quite master it.

"I'm not kidding." He looked up at her through his long eyelashes. "I'll have to start calling you something stupid too."

"Oh yeah like what?"

"Baby."

For a moment Lucy could have sworn she saw his eyes flicker down to her lips but when she looked back into his eyes they were glued to her own irises.

"Call me baby and It's your own funeral, John Egan." She finished off their conversation and made her way back to the ground before walking away yet again.

The sun had now dissapearwd entirely and in its place stood the moon. It was bright and glowed but a light level of mist and fog curdled around it. The stars couldn't be seen today.

Well a few could but none that were important nor so many that you could see a constellation. Here you could only see a singular bright star in a field of nothingness. Only one bright light in a dark abyss.