FIVE

▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅
CHAPTER FIVE | heaven and hell |
▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅

Gale leaned against the side of the doorframe watching as his sister unpacked her things onto her bed side table.

Among those things was a picture of the pair of them when they were around seven. They looked so young and full of happiness. The photo always made Lucy smile whenever she looked at it.

"There's a party tonight. You coming?" Gale broke the silence between them.

He knew about the losses that her crew had endured the day before but that didn't change anything in the larger picture of the war, she would have to go on and he would have to show her how to go on.

"Nope." She told him and continued folding her clothes.

"But you love to party." Buck reminded her and she shook her head slowly.

"Why would a celebrate my comrades deaths?" She finally snapped at him.

She hadn't meant to but she had needed someone to shout at for a while now. It was just by chance that her poor brother had disturbed her at this time.

"You aren't celebrating there deaths. You're celebrating you being alive." He remarked but this only made her angrier.

"Why does that even need celebration!" She shouted and he crossed his arms and pushed off the door frame coming to sit down beside her on the metal bed.

Without a word Gale wrapped his arm around her shoulder and pulled her in for a hug. Quickly Lucy let out a shaky breath and placed her head on his shoulder.

"I have to write the letters to their families."

Lucy had to write the letters to her fallen crew members Mothers, Fathers, wife's and children telling them that they wouldn't be coming home, ever.

"I'll help you." Gale rasped out and she nodded in agreement.

This place didn't feel like much of a home but it was better than nothing. All of Lucy's things had now been unpacked and left in the chest at her single beds foot or stacked a top of her bedside table which was rather crowded.

It held the photo of her and Gale, two books, a candle, a pair of sunglasses and some hair products for her.

"So what do you say about the party?"

"Depends."

"Depends on what?" Gale asked and eyed up the photo of him and his sister in the small frame on her bedside table. The photo made him think of old memories back in South Dakota.

"Who's going?" She asked.

"Everyone."

With a curt nod Gale left his sister to get ready for the nights events. Though she wouldn't really be getting ready. She still had to wear her uniform so it didn't really help the party feeling.

However when she entered the building it would seem that everyone else was in the party mood.

Music filled the room, men filled the bar and many were dancing on the dance floor. The very few woman had already seemed to choose their partners for the night as they swayed and danced with them.

Lucy was the only woman who had yet to be dancing with one of the gentlemen. But she didn't want to dance just yet.

Her brother and some of his men came into her view so she slowly made her way over to the bar where he was. Buck was rather quiet and seemed to just let the men around him speak.