Chapter 20

The trio had finally arrived at the ruins of Kuroyuri. Any hopes for finding medicine, food, or other supplies, completely vanished when they saw the state Kuroyuri was in. Ren wasn't lying when he said it was destroyed years ago. The state of the buildings indicated that a fire had destroyed this place, but the claw marks on some of the walls meant that Grimm were involved.

"What do you think destroyed this place?" Asked Jaune

"Grimm" Both Paul and Ruby said at the same time

"Like always" Muttered Jaune

"Do any of you see any place where we can take shelter, or find supplies?" Asked Paul

"None" Replied Ruby

Paul looked up at the sky. The clouds were turning grey, which meant rain was soon to come.

Jaune and Ruby left Qrow under a tree. Paul looked after him while Ruby and Jaune searched the ruins for supplies.

Despite their efforts, they were unable to find anything. No food, water, medicine, or even a suitable building to put Qrow in. Frustrated, they decided to return to the tree. They found Paul sitting down besides Qrow, having just finished changing his bandages.

"How did it go?" Asked the German

"Nothing" answered Jaune

"He's getting worse" Said Paul "Not sure how much time we have left"

He motioned to Qrow, who was grunting and coughing while putting a hand on his wound. Paul had ran out of bandages, so there was no changing this one. He would have to stick with it until help arrived.

Ruby's face was filled with worry, which soon turned to fear when a strange, distorted moan sounded in the distance. Everyone immediately shivered upon hearing it. They were all put on alert. Paul stood up from the tree, and with his trembling hands held his rifle tightly to his chest.

"It's far off" Ruby said

"Let's hope it stays far off. I seriously don't wanna know vhat made zhat sound" Said the German

"Ren and Nora are still out there. Do you think they're safe?"

"Ren und Nora can handle themselves pretty vell, I'm sure they'll be fine"

Ruby looked at her uncle, who had just coughed up blood mixed in with some venom. She then looked at both Jaune and Paul. They looked tired, hungry, and desperate. Food and water had begun to run out, and none of them has had a proper meal in 2 days. They still had a couple of days left until they reach Mistral. With food low, the team split, and an injured member, she was seriously starting to think they just might not make it.

"I'm sorry" Uttered Ruby

"What?"

"I'm sorry! I'm sorry for everything! This is all my fault, all of it! I never should've dragged you guys into this!" She cried

Jaune and Paul looked at her perplexed.

"Ruby...you didn't drag us in, we wanted to come" Jaune said reassuringly

"But...you didn't know about Tyrian, about this, about-"

"Calm down Ruby" Said Jaune

"I know things have not been good for the past months. We lost Pyrrha, you lost Penny, your team, and to some extent, your sister. We don't even know if Paul's team is alive" He said while pointing at the German "But you're still here, even after all you've lost. You knew the risks of coming out here, and you still chose to do it because you felt like you could make a difference. You didn't drag us along, you gave us the courage to follow you" He finished his monologue by putting a hand on Ruby's shoulder and giving her a reassuring smile