Chapter Four

Alyssa 

   Nothing was working. Nothing at all. Not even Vivian's show of imitating our dean who had a weird accent and an even weirder personality.

Right now, Vivian had spread out a couple of chicken nuggets and was acting out a play, with our dean as the main character of course.

On a normal day, I would be howling by now, guffawing and laughing out my intestines, but today was definitely not a good day, not even in the slightest.

"Alyssa. Alyssa?" I shook my head and those thoughts away at the sound of my name. I blinked back a couple of times, and only when my vision cleared did I realize I was having lunch at the cafeteria with Vivian. "Are you okay?"

"Yeah." I nodded, a bit too eagerly if you asked me. "What's wrong?"

"I should be asking you that." Vivian said as she bit off our supposed principal's head. “You look like something's troubling you."

"No, it's not. It's nothing." I bit down on my lips after I'd realized my blunder. "I mean, nothing is bothering me."

"You're not a pretty good liar, you know that right." Vivian sighed as she wrapped her pinky around mine. "Do you pinky promise that nothing's wrong?"

"Fine." I let out, in between a sigh and a huff. "I don't know, I haven't been able to shake off what happened after class."

"You mean the whole thing with the brothers? Or the fact that you stabbed class? I think this is literally your first time doing that."

"It's not my fault." I whined. "At least I didn't mean to do it. "

"You didn't mean to bump into Cameron in the hallway when the rest of the school was in class?" I frowned at Layla's smug tone. "I think not. How'd you bump into him anyway?"

"I met him in the bathroom." I sighed as I recalled the events. "I didn't even know he was in there until he just appeared out of nowhere."

"And?" Vivian pressed on as she nibbled on her chicken nugget. "What happened next?"

"I asked him what he meant on the field earlier today." Now that I thought about it, it was actually a really stupid thing to do. " Of course he didn't respond and he started heading out, until I latched onto his arm."

"Wait, hold up." A grin appeared on Vivian's face immediately. "You mean to tell me you touched the, Cameron Diaz?"

"Yes, Vivian. Any problem with that?" I rolled my eyes at her question. It was no wonder why she asked, she was literally obsessed with bad boys, a category Cameron fell right into. "You know what, don't even answer that. That's besides the point. He refused to tell me till I said he was bluffing and then he said we were going to pay Bennett a visit."

"Bennett?" She scrunched up her face in confusion. "What does Bennett have to do with that?"

"I don't know." I sighed. "But we were on our way to see Bennett when I fell. He didn't bother to help me up and somehow we ended up in that awkward position just when Bennett appeared in the hallway."

"Ouuuu." Vivian squeaked as she clapped loudly. A couple of stares followed her but she couldn't care less. "You know what this means right?"

"A total disaster because I lost on both sides?" I pinched the bridge of my nose.
"Somehow I've managed to cause a rift between both brothers and I still haven't found out what Cameron meant."

"Bennett doesn't seem to be mad at you though." Vivian said and I glanced towards the football players table and surprisingly in that same moment, Bennett and my eyes met. A small smile made its way on my lips as Bennett blew me a kiss. "You see, you're in the clear."

"Yeah." But there was something else. As Vivian's eyes flickered from my face to Bennett's, I could tell there was something else. Something else she wasn't letting me in on. "I'm going to find Cameron."

"Yeah… what?" Vivian's eyes bulged. "What do you mean you're going to see Cameron?"

"I want to get to the bottom of it all once and for all." I pushed my lunch tray back, having barely touched anything. "I'll be back soon. If anybody asks, cover for me."

"Alyssa, I don't think this is a good idea." Vivian's eyes were pleading. "Why don't you give it a rest and you're actually hurt. You're practically limping."

"Cover for me." I mouthed as I headed towards the cafeteria's exit. Luckily, or to my knowledge at least, I'd done that without anyone else finding out, especially Bennett.

I walked briskly as I allowed my legs to lead me to my destination.

I hadn't been here before, but somehow I knew my way around the place. I shuddered as I ventured deeper and deeper.

Where I was headed was a fallen classroom isolated from the rest of the school. It collapsed a couple of years back, but for some strange reason , no one bothered to rebuild it.

I hadn't been there in a long time but even the mere thought of it sent chills down my spine.

I couldn't even….. the rest of my sentence hung in my throat as I collided with a wall.

"Are those glasses just for fancy?" It wasn't until the wall spoke, I realized it was in fact a person, and none other than Cameron. "Or do you just like bumping into me all the time."

"I was looking for you." I cleared my throat as I adjusted my glasses. "I need to talk to you."

" I don't want to." He quipped, before sidestepping me. " Go back to Bennett."

"What's the point of telling me to go back to Bennett when you can just tell me!" I yelled, causing him to halt in his tracks.
"Why don't you just let me know what this damned secret is, so I can be on my way."

"I know for some strange reason you don't like me." I pressed on, barely giving him a chance to speak. "Hell, you even hate me but the earlier you tell me whatever it is you want to, the earlier I can get out of your skin. So just…"

"Tonight." He let out. "Meet me tonight at the school gate."

"But the school's dorms  close by ten ."I whispered, slightly shocked. "How am I supposed to get out?"

"Not my problem." The guy shrugged. "I'll wait for you at the school gate by 11pm. If you're even a minute late, forget about it. Forever."

And without giving me the privilege to get in the last word, he stalked in the opposite direction, a light bounce in his step.

Oh boy, what was I supposed to do now?

👀 What do you think will happen next?

Lemme know your thoughts in the comments section and don't forget to click on the orange star at the bottom 😊✨