Chapter Eight

Alyssa

          I stood rooted to my spot as I tried to come up with a reasonable explanation as to what was happening. Maybe I was being delusional and simply hallucinating? Or perhaps, somehow, I'd managed to cry myself into a state of shock where anything and absolutely everything could be possible. Because tell me why, I just had to be surrounded by literally the very same people I didn't want to see.

“Alyssa?” My blood ran cold at the sound of my   name. It was from one person and if someone had told me a time would come where the sound of my name on his tongue would no longer give me butterflies, I would have laughed my head off right at that person. I guess fate did have it's many ways of fucking you over. “Is that really you?”

I pressed my eyes shut, trying my possible beat to tune him out, but it didn't work. The more I tried,the more memories of us started to surface in my mind.

“Please look at me.” No matter how mad, how heartbroken I was, I doubted I could stay away from him. And right now, as I turned to face Bennett, I realized that very action just might be the cause of my death one day. “Alyssa….”

Bennett trailed off and I let him. I wanted him to speak, I wanted him to tell me why he did it. Or at least, tell me I was misunderstanding. Maybe it was all a big prank, a skit. Bennett had mentioned sometime in the past that he wanted to go into context creation, maybe the activities of that night were simply for practice and it skipped his mind to inform me about it.

Lies. You know they're all lies. My subconscious screamed in my head. They were lies, I was currently feeding myself lies. I needed all the comfort I could get because if the look in Bennett's eyes meant anything, it was a clear confirmation of my fears coming through.

“Alyssa.” Bennett called out again and surprisingly the sound of my name on his lips struck a chord in me, a rather furious one. “Alyssa, I…..”

“Alyssa, what!” I cut him off immediately. Despite the rage that was slowly building in my chest, it was a surprise how soft and tiny my voice actually was. “What is it? What do you want to say?”

“Alyssa, I'm sorry.” What was he apologizing for? All he had to do was tell me it was a prank or something silly. “I'm really sorry….”

“Why are you apologizing? You didn't do anything wrong.” A heavy weight dropped to my feet as Bennett looked away. “Incase you're confused, this is the part where you say this is a skit, a prank or something. Come on Bennett!”

“Oh Alyssa.” Someone purred beside me. It took me a while to realize who it was. It was Emily, and for a split second, I literally forgot she was there. I watched closely as she sauntered towards Bennett, before draping an arm around his shoulder. Surprisingly, he made no move to adjust it or take her hand off of him. “There's no way he's going to say that. If there's anything I know about our dear Bennett here, it's the fact that he doesn't lie.”

She wasn't wrong, Bennett never lied to the people he loved, but he'd been lying and deceiving me for years, so did it mean?....

“He doesn't like getting caught after lying.” A gruff voice resonated beside me and it didn't take me long to put two and two together. Cameron was still here. With a leveled gaze on Emily, he added. “That's what you meant.”

“She wasn't talking to you.” Bennett snapped at his stepbrother. “And no one invited you to this conversation anyway.”

“Now you can speak?” Cameron quirked his eyebrow, a bored expression on his face . “ What happened to your voice when your girlfriend was asking for an explanation?”