Part 5 - Haha, not funny Starflight...

"Woah there, why do you look so shocked?" Starflight asks inquisitively.

"Oh, I just... Why do you have a frickin' animus!"

"What is frickin'?" Starflight asks innocently.

"Like 'why in the three moons' type of thing," I say hastily.

"ahhhh..."

"Yeah, i know, shocking right?" I say harsher than I intended. "but who's RIME??????"

Sunny then pokes her head into the cave and says, "I'll bring him to you, he's asleep."

My eyes widen noticeably. "Rime is real?"

Sunny giggles. "Good joke, Ash." She briskly walks away into another cave.

"What'd you think Ash, Rime isn't a ghost," Starflight says with a laugh. "He's our friend."

I'm too distracted to listen. "Your friends were listening the whole time, weren't they? I say with a sigh.

Starflight shrugs. "Most likely," he says.

"How many times...?"

"Rime has used his powers only twice," Starflight confirms. "Also," he adds, raising his voice. "Glory, Clay, you might as well come in, we know you're listening."

The two dragonets come in. Clay looks guilty at being caught, but Glory just looks smug.

"Hey Starflight," she says with a sarcastic smile. "Hey, tiny scavenger."

I wrinkle my nose. "Hello Queen Glory, dignified as always." I nod at Clay. "Hey, Clay." Clay smiles back.

"Don't Queen me, I barely know you." Glory's face falls. "Plus, even the NightWings didn't want a RainWing like me to be a dragonet of destiny. How am I supposed to be royalty?"

Clay twines his tail with hers, and Starflight says, "We wouldn't trade you for any SkyWing. You know that, Glory."

"Thanks," Glory says gratefully, although she does not sound convinced.

"This is Rime!" Sunny pipes in. She's heading into the cave with an ice-blue IceWing, who is probably Rime.

"Hey," I say awkwardly. "My name is Ash. You must be Rime."

The IceWing opens and closes his mouth a few times. 
"Oh," he says slowly. "They were right. You can speak." His eyes are filled with wonder. He hesitates. "Yeah, that's me, I'm Rime."

"Nice to meet you," I look at Rime, who reminds me a lot of Clam even though I just met him. I reach out my hand so he can shake it. But then I look at his massive talon and realize my mistake. "Sorry, that was nothing."

"You're a weird little scavenger," Rime says, shaking his head in disbelief.

"You're an animus," I point out. "Who are you calling weird?"

"You told him about that?" Rime looks around the room, and Starflight dips his head guiltily.

"I'm sorry," the NightWing whimpers. Clay wraps one wing around him and holds him close.

"I guess it's ok," Rime says, although he growls slightly. "He's a scavenger, he won't get far."

I wince and climb back onto my ledge. Being on the floor, looking up at all these massive dragons, was terrifying. The high ledge makes me feel safer.

"Aw, Rime, you scared him!" Sunny coos, sidling up to me. She pets me with a single claw. "Look, he's shaking!"

"I'm going to get Tsunami," Glory says suddenly. "I'm hungry, and it's late."