Part 6 - A little help here?

I'm back :D - B

The days with the dragonets of destiny flew by. I am still fairly terrified of the ginormous beings, but I don't think they'll hurt me.

I'm mostly focusing on getting close to Rime. Rime's powers are my best bet of getting home. If animus powers don't work, then nothing else will, but at least I won't spend my whole life trying. I'll just... give up, I guess.

The other thing is, Rime genuinely concerns me. It's not his infinite powers or dark streak, it's the fact that he's been born. That means that however I got transported to this world, it's not even a canon world.  Like, what the heck guys! You bring me here, and it's not even a canon world.

Stupid magical beings.

I tried to... er, subtly ask Rime to use his powers- and it went pretty badly.

'Rime,' I said. I patted his front talon gently.

'I'm busy, Ash,' Rime snapped back. 'Go away.'

Well, there's Rime's dangerous temper. It's scary, and I wonder if he's cast more spells than he's let on.

'Wait, Rime, please listen,' I cried. I crawl pityingly under his head and look up at him with puppy eyes. 'We're friends, right?'

'Sure,' said Rime, although it's more like a warning growl.

'I want to go home,' I plead. 'I need your magic-'

My begging was cut off by Rime grabbing my neck and squeezing. It wasn't taking much effort for the IceWing, but I was choking and flailing my limbs hopelessly.

'Don't ask me again, SCAVENGER,' Rime snarled. 'I don't want to kill you- very messy business, and the other dragonets will throw their little fits. We're friends- and I like you. You're tiny, you're feisty, you're smart. But you ask me for MY magic again, I'll have your head on a spike. Got that in your thick scavenger skull, Ash?'

'I'm sorry,' I choked out.

In hindsight, it actually went pretty well. Rime didn't kill me. He avoided me for a good day or two, but after he cooled off, he talked to me like normal and didn't seem to hold any grudges. Luckily.

There's also another thing. Again, Rime is not a canon character. That means, whatever happens, it could be drastically different than what actually happens. Nothing that has happened has seemed to be canon. Either this is happening before the events of the first book, or Rime's existence made it so the dragonets never escaped. To put it simply: I have no idea what's happening. I haven't recognized any "scenes".

Then, of course, I hear a yell.

"FIGHT!" It sounds like Kestrel- only Kestril can be that loud. I crouch down and shove my hands over my ears. The shout might not have been loud for, say, Clay or Tsunami, but for a puny human with very breakable ears, it's painful. "Come on," snarls the SkyWing. I glance into the battle training area and see Kestril glaring at Clay. Of course. Kestril was probably bullying the MudWing again. "Stop holding back. Find the killer inside you and let it out."

Kestril's roaring unsettles me.  I push my hands harder into my ears and swallow hard. I hear a muffled plead, probably from Clay. Then roaring, Kestrel's roaring, that I can't decipher. A loud yelp, and a growl about stupid, deaf MudWings.

I rock back and forth. The muted battle training rings through my ears, and thoughts race through my head. Why am I here? Dragons... they're intelligent, but terrifying... I know the DOD so well, from just reading the books, yet right in front of my face I want to cry. Are most of them actually bloodthirsty? I try not to be scared... but seeing them battle, even if Clay's hopeless at it, it... it's hard to explain.

Then, "STOP YAMMERING AND GET DOWN HERE!"

Even closing my ears, it's incredibly loud. For some reason, instead of trying to make myself smaller, all the fear and doubt clouds my mind. A bark of an emotionless laugh escapes my lips. I clap my hand over my mouth, then back over my ear. Kestrel still doesn't know I exist- neither do Dune or Webs. That's because Clay thinks they'll try to eat me.

Then, suddenly, I hear a roar. Oh damn, that's Kestril. Either Clay finally hit back with malice, or... My thoughts trail off. I scramble to my feet and peek from behind my rock. Clay was laying on the floor, Kestril looking at...

Tsunami. She's growling something, rather quietly for a dragon. I strain to listen.

"...picking on at Clay. Or I'll bite you again."

Kestril leaned back and flicked her tail angrily, observing the place the SeaWing must've bitten her. Tsunami looks at her, her eyes filled with hatred and triumph.

"aren't you sweet," grumbles Kestril. "Protecting a dragon who tried to kill you when you were still an egg."

Wait a second. A memory jolted through me like lightning. Murky and faded, sure, but lightningly there. Familiar. Nostalgic, almost.

No way. This happens in the first part of the book... the first book, the dragonet prophecy. So the timeline, at least so far, is mostly the same. Rime's just... an anomaly, I guess.

The fight finishes as I hear Kestril say, "I'll mark another failure in your scroll, MudWing." I can hear her stomping away, so I hurry back to the sleeping cave. I don't want Kestril to see me.

Still, I've made a big revelation. The events of the first book have started.

And that means something... but I don't know what I'm supposed to do with that information.

"Urghhh," I groaned. I heard a loud thump and glanced over. Rime was sitting next to me.

"So," he said slowly. "What spell did you want me to cast?"