Part 7 - the Queen

Peril POV

Peril curled her smoking talons in. Her tail twined inward and she walked through the passageway. The dragons parted in her path, scared of her fire, scared of her power.

Why does Queen Scarlet want me?  Peril thought, then scolded herself. It's not your place to question Your Majesty, Peril, don't be stupid. It's probably just some prisoner she wants me to battle, or some black rocks...

She reached the throne room and opened the door. Scarlet was sitting on the throne, her tail draped regally across the floor. Her queenly face looked terribly pleased.

"Your Majesty," Peril bowed.

"Peril, stand up," Scarlet hissed. Peril dutifully followed her command. "I have a prisoner I would like you to... threaten. Feel free to burn him."

"Of course," Peril said gleefully. She looked around the room and didn't see any rebellious SeaWings or hissing IceWings. "Erm... Your Majesty, what prisoner is it?"

Scarlet scowled. She turned to a SkyWing guard. "Show her the prisoner," she demanded.

The guard took a trembling scavenger from behind him. "Here is the prisoner, Peril."

"Uh.... the prisoner is a scavenger?" Peril asked incredulously.

Scarlet prodded the scavenger with a talon. "Speak."

Peril was trying not to laugh.

"Speak!" Scarlet roared.

"H-hey... P-peril..." the poor thing looked terrified. Suddenly the thought of torturing the prisoner wasn't so fun anymore.

Peril tilted her head. "Oh, it mimics."

Scarlet shook her head. "Tell her, useless mutt!"

The scavenger swallowed hard. It wiped its face with its tiny, claw-less talons. "I-I'm animus touched... please don't hurt me!" It said quickly, cowering into a ball. Peril had to strain to hear, it spoke so quietly.

"Interesting," Peril said thoughtfully. She held her arms out and said, "alright scavenger, time to die!"

"I-I think I'll pass..." the scavenger looked at queen Scarlet.

Scarlet nodded. "We might need him." She looked at a SkyWing guard. "You! Take him to the pillars."

The scavenger frowned, like he was realizing something. It squeaked something fearfully Peril couldn't understand, and the SkyWing guard swept it up with one talon. It struggled helplessly as the guard flew away.

Peril looked at Scarlet.

"I need you to visit him every day," Scarlet said finally. "Make sure he stays scared, make sure he knows he can't escape. Burn him if you have to."

Peril nodded. "of course."

"You can go now," Scarlet said.

Peril nodded and flew out of the throne room. She saw the scavenger sitting sadly on a pillar and thought, why does Queen Scarlet call it 'he'? Does Her Majesty have some respect for it? It can't really think, can it?

Peril gazed at the arena as she glided past. Can it?

//James POV//

I'm so stupid.

So fricking stupid.

I press my head into my hands. I try to ignore the chain pressing into my leg. It's probably meant for a dragon's wrist or wing, but it clips neatly around my calf.

'Rime, this is probably obvious, but I don't belong here,' I said. I looked hopefully into the IceWing's eyes.

Rime nodded knowingly. 'Of course. You're a scavenger.'

'Yes...' I sighed. 'I have to try this. Rime, do this. Say, Bring this scavenger where he belongs.'

'bring this scavenger where he belongs,' Rime stated, but nothing happened.

'Okay... one last try,' I pleaded.

'Fine,' Rime groaned. 'For you, Ash.'

'First- call me James. Ash isn't my real name.'

'Okay... Jahames?' Rime said awkwardly.

'Close enough. Try, 'bring this scavenger where he is needed most.''

I'm so stupid! When I said that, I didn't expect the magic to teleport me into QUEEN SCARLET'S THRONE ROOM! Stupid animus magic.

I look at the two pillars next to me. There's a scarred SandWing on my left and a young SeaWing. He reminds me of Clam, so I yell, "hey!"

The SeaWings turns to me. He looks very confused.

"I know, I can talk, I'm animus touched," I explain quickly. I have decided to continue using that explanation. It's a good story, right? "I'm...."

"I'm... so confused," the SeaWing says in a quiet voice. "I'm talking to an animus touched scavenger... whatever. My name is Prince Reef."

"Reef. I like it," I decide. "Hello, Reef."

Reef looks amused. "You know, dragons usually have more respect. You just kinda ignored the Prince part."

"I'm not a dragon," I point out. "plus, in my land, we don't have queens, kings, princes and whatnot."

Unless you're British.

"Your... land?" Reef tilts his head to one side.

"Yes. America."

"Amurica?"

"America." I say slowly, pronouncing each syllable.

"Oh," Reef lays his head down on the pillar. A gust of wind blew, and I nearly fall off my own pillar.

"That was... close," I pant. A bead of sweat rolls down my face.

"Nah," Reef says, looking a bit confused. "You're chained down. You can fall."

"Uh," I say slowly. "I'm scared of heights."

"Why?" Reef asks bluntly.

"When I was young," I say. "I fell down stairs- over the railing and everything. It was a very high fall... I fell, got a concussion, and broke my leg."

"Stairs?" Reef asks. "What are stairs?"

"Pillars," I correct myself. "Let's just stick with that. Sorry. I'm speaking like a human- scavenger- would."

"ok." Reef nods like he understood. "And... what is your name?"

I paused. "James. My name is James."

Then, suddenly, Queen Scarlet swoops into her area. I stumble backwards, even though she is far away from me.

"What's happening?" I ask frantically.

"I've been here long enough to know, unfortunately," Reef bows his head. "Get ready for an arena battle.

Frick.

Alright, there's part 7! another short chapter, sorry... Ive been very busy with school. thanks for reading!