THIRTY ONE

Aria was sat on the couch eating her breakfast while her legs rested on Alex's lap. The two watched Meredith and Derek rushing out of the house heading to the venue for their wedding.

"I never thought I'd see the day Meredith would actually get married." Aria mumbled looking at her boyfriend.

"She's still got to get down the aisle and don't you remember what she was like when she had to meet his mother." Alex said before the couple burst out laughing recording how Meredith freaked out when Mrs Shepherd came to Seattle.

"Yeah well she seems to be handling it well. What about you? Do you ever want to get married?" Aria asks causing Alex to cough lightly watching her. "Gosh it's not like I'm proposing to you I only want to know if it's something you're interested in the future." Aria scoffed bursting out laughing at her boyfriend's reaction.

"Uh I haven't given it much thought. Why do you want to?" Alex questioned her watching her reaction closely.

Aria shrugged lightly finishing off her cereal before turning to him. "I haven't thought much about it either. I guess if it ever felt right I would but not any time soon so you're safe I'm not expecting anything." Aria climbed into Alex's lap her body facing his. "I quite like things the way they are." She whispered in his ear before placing a kiss on his lips.

"Hmm I agree." Alex replied with a smirk. He leaned in again causing Aria to smile before climbing off his lap. She grabbed his hand pulling him up as they headed upstairs.
~
"Okay, X-ray is really backed up, but...Hey, that--that's Pete." Lexie mumbled looking at her older sister who was working on the young guy trying to stop the bleeding.

"What?" Aria said shooting Lexie a look of confusion before continuing to work on the patient.

"David's friend, Pete.The--the red sneakers." Lexie explained to Aria who quickly nodded her head in response before looking at her sister with an expression of urgency.

"Could you get over here and help me?He's bleeding through the dressing on the chest wound." Aria says trying to work as quickly as she can.

"Pulse is 220." Lexie called out to her older sister while she checked his breathing.

"Pericardial effusion.Get me a syringe and a spinal needle.Here we go.I'm going in through the wound.Okay, I'm gonna need another syringe, now." Aria called out trying to work quickly and get control of the bleeding.

"There's too much blood." Lexie says to her sister who continues to remain calm.

"Okay, just keep the syringes coming.Give me a 60cc this time." Aria called out to the nurse before Lexie looked at the monitors.

"Asystole. He's flatlining." Lexie told her sister and the team of nurses.

"Uh, get the cardio board.Just... Keep holding pressure.Okay, I'm starting compressions on my count.One, two, three." Aria said before transferring Pete onto the other board and beginning compressions.

"Aria." Lexie warned her before earning a quick look from Aria.

"Just keeping putting pressure." She mumbled to her sister before continuing her work.
~
Aria sat filing out some patient files before Meredith walked towards her. "Hey how was your first solo surgery? It must be nice marrying an Attending." Aria joked looking up at Meredith with a small smile.

"Aria-" Meredith stated in a serious tone before Aria held up her hands.

"Hey I'm only messing with you I'm happy for you and Derek." Aria says while Meredith stood quietly before Aria looked up reading her twins sisters expression. It was the same expression she gave to her patients when she had bad news. "What is it Mer?" She asks before Meredith took a deep breath.

"Derek found another tumour in Izzie's brain." Meredith spoke as Aria fell silent at each of the words her sister spoke. For a moment she thought things were looking up especially for Izzie she seemed better.

Today was supposed to Meredith's wedding day. It was supposed to be a happy moment but life happened once again. Aria sat in silence watching her sister unsure of what to say next.

"I need your help with something." Meredith said causing Aria to look in confusion before Meredith quickly explained their plan.
~
Aria stood smiling at Adam as she began she walked over quickly adjusting his tie. "How are you feeling?" Aria asks watching her friend who had a huge smile on his face.

"I'm marrying the woman I love. I don't think I've ever felt better." Adam says with a huge smile.

"Well then I think it's time to get you married." She chuckled in response before going to head off as Adam reached out for her arm.

"Thank you Aria." He spoke softly with a small smile as he looked at his friend with appreciation.

"What are you thanking me for?" Aria asks holding a confused smile.

"You brought me and Izzie together. We wouldn't be here about to get married if you hadn't introduced us. I know I had feelings for her long before that but you gave me the courage to act on them. And now I'm about to go out there and marry the woman I love. But that is only because of you so thank you." Adam smiled before Aria quickly hugged him.

"You don't need to thank me. You just make sure that you take care of her and yourself." Aria spoke before the two headed out. The joined the huge crowd of people who had gathered to watch Izzie and Adam get married.

Aria quickly headed out standing beside Adam who had asked her to be his best woman. She gladly accepted knowing how much the couple needed this day. Her eyes scanned through the crowd but it was long before she found his.

Alex stood already watching her as his eyes followed her every move. He offered her a smirk before quickly winking at her. In response to his gesture Aria rolled her eyes at his antics before mouthing an I love you his way. He quickly returned the gesture before the music caught the attention of them all.

They all turned their attention to the door as Izzie made her way along with Meredith and Cristina. The hospital watched in awe of the couple who in so little time of their relationship had faced so much. The two were so deserving of their day and their lives together.

Aria smiled at the couple before her gaze met Meredith's. She smiled brightly at her sister who had given up her wedding for Izzie. She knew Meredith didn't want this kind of a wedding but she was willing to do it for Izzie. Despite everything that had happened today had truly turned into something that could only be described as magic.

•••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
A/N- I know Izzie and Adam haven't been together long but it was the only plot that made sense to me. Meredith and Derek will still have their post it wedding and we'll have to wait a while longer for Aria and Alex's wedding if the two get married of course.