Chapter Three

Rowan

The day prior...

Jackson had called me to pick up Devy. I only agreed because I was already on the way and because I knew her friends were already drinking. That only meant that her only other option, besides me, was probably Blake, and fuck that. He could eat shit for all I cared. I weaved in and out of traffic until I finally made it to Uncle Sam's. I saw her from afar, the purple peeking through her black hair, she always stood out because of it. She was sitting on the curb, the wind gently blowing her hair as she tried to fix it.

It was kind of cute, she reminded me of a lost puppy, sitting and waiting.

I revved my bike as I pulled into the parking lot, letting her know I was here. I parked in the empty space in front of her. I got off, turning the bike off. I slid my helmet off, it was hard to breathe in the damn thing.

"Hey Devy, Jack asked for me to pick you up," I took my gloves off and walked over to her. I pulled my extra helmet out of my backpack and held it out to her. I had a few extra helmets for girls, Jackson, and Devy. Jackson rode my bike sometimes and of course I thought he deserved his own helmet. Devin rode with me more often, I also thought she deserved her own. When I first gave her it, she was ecstatic, racing over to the bike without waiting for me to hop on first. I felt my eyes smile but my mouth stilled, I missed that jumpiness of hers when she got excited.

Lately she's been a little less energetic.

"I have a ride, you can leave," She looked up at me, raising an eyebrow.

"C'mon, Jack knows you're going to the party, he's there and I know your friends are probably drinking already. So c'mon, I'm already here, don't waste my time." I deliberately didn't include Blake because she and I both knew that I wasn't letting Blake pick her up when I was already here. I wasn't jealous of him but any chance I got to keep her away from him, best believe I'm taking it. He needed to keep his grimy hands off her as much as possible.

She scoffed, snatching the helmet out of my hand. I chuckled at her feisty ass. She knew she was stubborn, but she also knew I could be more stubborn, especially when it came to Blake. She would rather leave with me than argue for the next fifteen minutes in her work's parking lot. In all honesty, if she didn't go, I would have tied her onto the bike and left like that.

"I have to go to the house first so I can get ready. Is that fine?"

"Yeah that's fine." I was texting some chick on my phone as I hopped on the bike. I met her at the last party I went to, and she was hot as shit. I couldn't wait to go and see her. I yawned and felt a soft tap on my thigh, giving me a signal that she was ready. I nodded, responding to her tap, and started towards her house.

Buildings and trees whirred past us as I sped over to her house. I loved riding, it felt like freedom and more. I imagined this was what flying felt like, except it looked way cooler. It also helped me get girls, the girls fell in love with the bike and would want to ride it all the time. After riding it, they'd ride me so I wouldn't complain. It was always the same thing, same routine too. I would take girls down the same route and after a few minutes they'd be touching all over me, it was nice. Except with Devin, it felt different.

Not in a bad way. Quite the opposite, actually. When Devin was my backpack, it was calming, she exuded this bright, comforting, pleasantry into the atmosphere, it felt like honey soothing your throat on a cold, dry day.

Honey.

Like her eyes.

After several minutes, we had arrived and she immediately darted to her room, probably wanting to hurry up and go to the party. I sat in the living room waiting for her. I glanced around the house, the same house they always lived in. No matter how much redesigning they did or how much they changed it, this house wouldn't ever be different from when we grew up in it. I know they did it to try and refresh the house but to put it quite frankly, we all know it didn't work. To prevent any depressing thoughts about old memories, I tried to flood my thoughts of anything, and Devy appeared.