『 4 』 One Too Many Trees

❝ Oh, yeah, well, you two weren't in the last one

Oh, yeah, well, you two weren't in the last one.
ᴺᴼᵂ ᴾᴸᴬᵞᴵᴺᴳ : Where Do I Go? - Lizzy McAlpine
1:35 ──────── 3:47
II
ᴠᴏʟᴜᴍᴇ : ▮▮▮▮▮▮▯▯▯

THE CAR BEGINS TO PUSH DOWN ON THE TREE, the weight of it making the tree branches start to bend.

"Oh, no. Christy, go!" Dr. Grant gave me the 'oh shit' smile and started to decend faster with me. The car catches up with us with each step we take. "Go, Christy, go! Faster, Christy!" Dr. Grant keeps me going. Were almost to the bottom but the car is hot on our trail. He realizes we wont be able to outrun the car to the bottom. "Christy, jump!" He jumps and I follow right after him. The car plummets all the way to the base of the tree. As it hits it starts to creak again.

"Go, Christy!" He yells and we attempt to run but we wont make it. Dr. Grant jumps on top of my to shield me as the car falls down back on top
of us.  Thankfully we were where the sunroof was and we dont get crusher.

"Well, Dr. Grant... We're back in the car again." I say, breathlessly. All the running and the jumping and the climbing got me tired, especially after being thrown into a tree thirty feet below me.

"Well, at least you're out of the tree." He sighs and hugs my shoulder making sure Im okay. He helps me back out of the car and takes me to where Lex and Tim are. They are crying and I give them a big hug letting them know im okay. Dr. Grant grabbed his bandana and wrapped it around the place I was bleeding. The he said we should find a place to sleep so we can conserve energy. We walk for a little bit, wanting to get away from the previous area and to find a good place. As were walking, we keep hearing the T-Rex in the distance.

"Are you hearing this?" Lex taps me on the shoulder. I nod and give her a side hug to comfort her.

"Come on, Tim. Come on, hurry up. Let's, uh, get up this tree." Dr. Grant suggests. I put my hand on my head.

"Oh, no."  I groan shaking my head.

"Come on, Christy, it's okay. Try up here." He guides me in the right way. I carefully and slowly climb up the tree, afraid of a random car flying out of no where. Dr. Grant gives me that final push to get on the ledge of the tree.

"Oh, man. I hate trees." I unhappily sit on the tree.

"They don't bother me!" Lex smiles as she sits down.

"Yeah me too." Tim sits down. I shake my head.

"Oh, yeah, well, you two weren't in the last one." I snarl. I am so exhausted from everything that happened. Dr. Grant situates himself up on the ledge and we look out. We hear a symphony of noises from the animals. Animals I am too familiar with. I instantly get a smile on my face.

"Hey, those are Brontosauruses. I mean, uh, Brachiosauruses." Tim snaps his fingers.

"I cant believe im seeing them!" I smile with tears in my eyes. At least I know they wont eat me.

"They're singing" Dr. Grant moves over to a higher branch. He hoots loudly, imitating one of the calls. Two more heads stick up and they hoot back at him.

"Shh, shh! Don't let the monsters come over here!" Lex shushes him.

"Lex they are Brachios! My favorite!" I tell her but she just shrugs me off.

"They're not monsters, Lex. They're just animals. These are herbivores." Dr. Grant explains, captivated by them.

"That means they only eat vegetables, but for you I think they'd make an exception." Timmy pokes fun at Lex and she gives him daggers for eyes.

"Tim..." Dr. Grant disapprovingly sighs.

"Oh, I hate the other kind." Lex shivers remembering what just happened.

"The other kind of just... do what they do." Dr. Grant shrugs. He situates himself on the tree, leaning back against the trunk. Us three nestle up on either side of him, Tim being on my side, me next to Dr. Grant, and Lex on his other side. I settle into this, getting more comfortable. Dr. Grant is a good guy and Im thankful he saved me and my siblings. Suddenly Dr. Grant starts to squirm around digging in his back pocket.

"Ooh! Aah! What's that?" He winces and digs out a velociraptor claw he had on him. I look at the fully formed claw in his hand in awe, its really cool looking. I know he's a paleontologist so Im sure thats where he got it from.

"What are you and Dr. Sattler gonna do now if you don't have to pick up dinosaur bones anymore?" I ask him looking at the claw.

"I don't know, I guess... I guess we'll just have to evolve too." Dr. Grant smiles still looking at the claw.

"What do you call a blind dinosaur?" Timmy tells a joke.

"I don't know. What do you call a blind dinosaur?" Dr. Grant responds looking over at him.

"Do-you-think-he-saurus." Timmy says ans laughs. The rest of us chuckle at his joke. "What do you call a blind dinosaur's dog?" He asks another joke.

"You got me." Dr. Grant smiles touching the grooves of the claw.

"A Do-you-think-he-saurus Rex." Timmy smiles and we chuckle again.

"What if the dinosaur comes back while we're all asleep?" Lex asks nervously.

"I'll stay awake." Dr. Grant looks at her.

"All night?" Lex asks, skeptical.

"All night." He promises. Lex seems to sigh a breath of relief and close her eyes. I look over at Timmy and his eyes are already closed. I look up at Dr. Grant and whisper a 'Thank you.' and he smiles at me. I rest my head on his shoulder and fall asleep, hugging Timmy a little closer.

988 words! wholesome chapter 🥹