22| Adhiraj's Confession

Author's POV

After the completion of each ritual, Digvijay, along with Adhiraj and Shivaay, made their way to the outer area of the temple where the men were gathered, eagerly awaiting the distribution of Prasad. Meanwhile, Tripti, Nandini, and Annahita headed to where the ladies were seated to fulfill the same duty.

After some time, Shivaay and Adhiraj wandered towards the temple pond, finding solace in the tranquility of the surroundings. As they sat on the edge in silence, the weight of unspoken worries hung heavy in the air.

Moments passed before Shivaay broke the silence. "He's searching for her, and this time, he's searching for me too," he revealed, his gaze fixed on the serene waters of the pond.

"Why are they looking for you?" Adhiraj inquired, a furrow forming on his brow.

"They couldn't find her, so now they're searching for me. And this time, the one behind him is also seeking her. If he discovers her whereabouts, everything I've worked for will crumble before my eyes," Shivaay explained, his tone tinged with concern.

"I'll never let him lay a finger on her or even cast his gaze in her direction as long as I draw breath," Adhiraj declared firmly, determination flashing in his eyes.

"Then marry her," Shivaay suggested suddenly, catching Adhiraj off guard.

"What?" Adhiraj exclaimed, taken aback by the unexpected proposal.

"Marry her before he finds her," Shivaay reiterated, his expression serious as he emphasized the urgency of the situation.

"Do you think she'll just agree to marry me if I ask?" Adhiraj questioned, his tone laced with uncertainty.

"Why not? I've seen the way you both interact. She clearly loves you and would likely say yes," Shivaay responded, his voice carrying a note of reassurance.

"It's not that simple, Shivaay. She's unaware of everything, and I don't want our marriage to be rushed. She deserves to have all her dreams fulfilled," Adhiraj explained, his expression thoughtful.

Shivaay sighed, casting a serious gaze at Adhiraj. "I can't risk a war breaking out now, Adi. I know you can protect her even without marrying her, but it would spark chaos throughout the country. And with elections approaching, the timing couldn't be worse. Otherwise, I'll have to consider marrying her off to someone else," he added gravely.

Adhiraj's eyes flashed with anger, his frustration evident. Veins throbbed in his temples as he locked eyes with Shivaay. "Don't you dare. She will marry me. She's going to be my wife," he declared vehemently.

"Then marry her," Shivaay reiterated, his voice firm.

"Do you think marrying her will deter him? He will step back after I marry her ?" Adhiraj inquired, his brows furrowing in concern.

"No, he won't back down easily, but he's less likely to directly target your wife. Marry her and make it known to the world. Even if he finds her, he won't approach her so brazenly," Shivaay reasoned, his tone resolute.

"Let me discuss this with baba first. And more importantly, let me talk to Annahita about it. If she doesn't agree to marry me now, then I won't force her. Even if it leads to war, I don't care. She means more to me than anything else," Adhiraj declared firmly as he rose from his seat.

As he strode away toward the temple, he paused and glanced back at Shivaay, who remained seated, his heart heavy with a sense of loss. "A suitor is coming to meet Nandini for marriage in two days," Adhiraj informed him before continuing on his way, leaving Shivaay behind, his heart torn between heartbreak and anger.