Chapter three

Chloe was pretty proud of herself for making it into professor Vector's higher level Arithmancy class, especially because it was meant for older students than herself. Because the class was for sixth and seventh years, Chloe knew almost no one. No one, except for Percy Weasley. But neither of them was too excited that the other took the course. Percy, as headboy, still held a grudge for Chloe being late to the prefect meeting. Chloe didn't really have a rational reason to be bothered by Percy, but everytime he sneezed she felt the urge to roll her eyes. Aside from having no friends in the class, there was more making Chloe doubt if she should have taken the class in the first place. She once thought professor Vector was harsh and gave a lot of homework in normal Arithmancy. Oh how naive little Chloe had been.

Between tutoring Harry and homework for her advanced Arithmancy, Chloe hadn't really had time for any of her other subjects, or even her prefect duties. Ah, she realised, maybe that was why Percy had been looking so pissed. A couple of weeks after her first lesson in the Advanced class, she had a particular difficult paper to finish. Chloe took a sip of her third coffee of the morning as she quickly tried to finish her paper at breakfast. She suddenly felt two people sitting next to her on either side.

"Hey there Clover." Chloe rolled her eyes at the nickname. There were only two people who called her that.

"Go away, I'm busy." She mumbled without looking up from her paper. She had reached the conclusion, only a couple of hundred words left.

"I'm afraid we can't leave before we get something from you." The voice on the left seriously stated, Chloe suspected that the voice came from George.

"And what might that be?"

"Why only your impeccable talent, of course." The other voice flattered her. Chloe was quite familiar with the Weasley twins. Until she was old enough to stay home by herself, she visited the Weasleys for a sleepover every full moon. And if there was one thing Chloe knew for sure, it was that Fred and George had enough talent among the two of them to pull off any prank they wanted. The fact that they needed her help for something intrigued her.

She slowly put her quill down. "Why?"

The one on the left, which Chloe noticed was indeed George, gave her a smirk, "A little birdie told us that you got bumped up into Advance Arithmancy." Chloe frowned, but slowly realised that they must have heard it from Harry. Chloe didn't often speak to the twins herself.

"And we found out ourselves that you got the highest grade out of all of our year at the Ancient Runes final last year." Fred continued.

That was true, and it still made Chloe proud. Not her grade necessarily, but she still remembered the sour faces of some cocky Ravenclaw boys. "You don't need to convince me of my "impeccable talent"." Chloe jokingly smiled. She hadn't talked to the Weasley twins in a couple of years, but she had missed their quick banter. "So what do you want my help with?"

George's eyes lit up. "You're in?" George continued before Chloe could hesitate, "Great. We found this old book in the restricted section of the library. It's written by an author who was known for his pranks. He even invented Belch Powder."

Chloe frowned, "What's tha- I don't want to know." , she stopped herself.

"A wise choice, probably," Fred took over, "it is indeed quite nasty. Anyhoo, we suspect it contains recipes for more prank-potions, powders, charms, you name it."

"How truly wonderful. If the world needs anything, it is more burp-inducing products." Chloe nodded along with a serious look on her face.

"We need your help," George continued, getting them back on track, "because it is all written in code, consisting mainly of Ancient Runes, in combination with many random numbers."