Chapter four

Chloe made Kenneth wait at the portrait while she went off to find Dumbledore. She would've offered to wait herself, but she had a feeling that Sirius Black had something to do with it, and she wasn't too excited to meet him. When she came back, Dumbledore a few feet behind her, many more students had gathered themselves in front of the portrait.

"Let me through please," a familiar and annoying voice spoke, "excuse me, I am head boy!" Percy Weasley argued as he tried to get through the crowd.

"Well Head Boy, you got here awfully late. I've managed to get someone actually useful in the time it took you to get here." Chloe walked up next to Percy. Percy looked like a little child who had candy stolen from him as he noticed Chloe walking up with Dumbledore. Chloe shot him a proud grin.

"Lupin." Percy gave a low grumble.

"Weasley." Chloe smiled sweetly.

"Nice one, Clover." Chloe felt George whisper in her ear from behind her, making her smile just a bit more wide.

Filch of all people managed to find the Fat Lady, to the surprise of Chloe and every other student there. Most of the students ran over to the portrait with the Fat Lady in it, but Chloe failed to respond quickly and ended up at the end of the crowd next to Alicia.

Chloe squinted her eyes as she tried to listen or lip read what Dumbledore and the Fat Lady were talking about. "I wonder what they're saying."

Angelina appeared from out of the crowd, trying to get to her friends. She took Chloe's hand and pulled her away from the people. "Chloe," she said worried, "Chloe, they're saying Sirius Black broke into the castle."

Chloe rolled her eyes in the hope her friends would stop worrying. "I'm fine." she argued. Her friends knew that Chloe's mum had been killed by Sirius Black right before he went off to Azkaban. To be honest, Chloe didn't love the fact that Sirius Black had come to Hogwarts, but who did? She knew it was irrational to think he was going after her, or anyone except Potter, but still. Chloe knew nothing about her mum except for the way she died, nothing except Sirius Black prevented Chloe from getting to know her mum, so she wasn't keen to meet him.

Percy Weasley led everyone down to the great hall. Chloe reluctantly followed him, but stopped when someone blocked her path.

"Miss Lupin, may I have a short word with you?" Dumbledore stood in front of Chloe. She practically had to say yes.

"What can I help you with?" she asked with all of the patience she could muster at the end of the day.

"Well I was merely wondering," Dumbledore hesitated, probably unsure of how to word his question, "just making sure, actually, you didn't have anything to do with Sirius Black's presence here today, did you?"

Chloe didn't even try to hide her face of ultimate shock. "Are you kidding me?"

Dumbledore looked as if that was the answer he was expecting. "It's just that you were the first one to notice that the Fat Lady was gone, you were at the castle all day, as Percy Weasley informed me, and well..." Dumbledore paused once again, "Are you aware that Sirius Black was involved in the death of your mother?"

"Oh my-", Chloe stopped herself, "If I wasn't, this would be an absolutely horrific way of me finding out." Chloe noticed the headmaster was about to say something again, so she cut him off. "No I was not involved in Sirius Black entering the castle, no I don't know how he could have come into the castle, yes I am willing to tell you the exact same thing after a shot of Veritaserum. May I go after my friends now?"

Dumbledore smiled softly. "Yes, you may go. Thank you for your cooperation."

Chloe rolled her eyes as she walked after her friends, "accidentally" bumping into her headmaster's shoulder. How dare he. While rushing to the Great Hall, Chloe caught a glimpse of the full moon outside. Remus didn't like sharing his werewolf experiences with Chloe, but she knew Remus well enough to know that it was bad. She was the one who checked up on him the day after the full moon, she was the only one who could tell how much his lycanthropy bothered him. Chloe often felt guilty that Remus had to take care of her, but in these moments she could pay him back.