Chapter 18: As Anticipated

It was amazing how many things could get lost all year in a locker.

I stood in front of my locker with a backpack and a garbage bag in front of me on the floor, sorting out the contents of my locker one-by-one. Some of it got tossed in my backpack to keep. Most things went into the trash bag.

The locker was now about halfway empty. By the end of the school year, the locker had reached its maximum capacity. I had already tossed more than a dozen long-lost pens and pencils into my backpack. I was sure I'd find another couple dozen by the time I was through with emptying the locker.

There were a number of overdue library books I needed to bring to the school library before heading out on the bus, an inside-out, balled up jacket I had left once it had become too warm outside to need it. There were half-empty plastic water bottles, crumpled up papers from homework assignments, and textbooks that I thankfully would never need to ever open again.

"You're not finished yet?" Emma asked as she walked up next to me and stared into the abyss that was my locker.

I shrugged as I tossed out a Spanish workbook that I wasn't going to need again. It was true that my locker was fuller than most, but that hadn't been the main reason for how long it was taking me to get it all emptied out.

The conversation about bedwetting with my parents and sister yesterday evening had given me a lot to think about. The pills had proved to not be much of a problem. Yes, they had made it impossible to wet the bed in the middle of the night, as I would have preferred, but I didn't have any difficulty peeing in bed once my alarm had woken me up in the morning.

I was rather proud of how I had figured out a way to wake up early without disturbing the rest of my family. Waking up to an alarm blaring from an earbud wasn't the ideal way to start the morning, but it gave me time to wet the bed and relax before getting ready for school.

However, despite needing to pee in the morning, the puddle that had formed on the bed around my bottom was a lot smaller than any of the other times I had peed in the bed previously, proof that the medication had done its job of limiting my overnight urine output.

Mom, of course, had been a bit disappointed when she woke me up. She made sure to clarify that she wasn't unhappy with me in any way, but it was clear she had higher expectations for how the medicine would perform. She had very much been expecting to see dry sheets and pajamas in the morning.

"Eww, is that what I think it is?" Emma pointed to a discolored plastic baggie that had been revealed when I had taken the book out of the locker.

I grimaced as I looked down at what was likely the remnants of an unfinished lunch from months ago. That was one of the problems with my locker. I always intended to get stuff out again right away, but as soon as it became buried, it would slip completely out of my mind. Emma held her nose in disgust as I pinched the corner of the baggie and quickly deposited it into the garbage bag.

I hoped there weren't any additional baggies like that in the locker, but I was beginning to dread what I might end up discovering closer to the bottom.

"So, about the all-nighter? What did your mom say about the sleepover?" Emma asked.

I sighed and rolled my eyes. It was apparent that my friends were going to keep interrogating me until they got an answer. I answered the first half of that question truthfully. "Doing an all-nighter is a no-go. My parents don't want us drinking all that caffeine and going crazy."

"That's silly," Emma said as she watched me continue to empty the locker. "We wouldn't have any problem getting away with that at my place. My parents wouldn't care one bit as long as we didn't wake them up."