Chapter 30: Unprotected

This was a complete and total disaster.

I removed my wet hand from underneath the pull-up and wiped it dry on my sheets. There was no denying what had just happened during my first attempt at peeing in a pull-up; it had completely and utterly failed to do what it was supposed to do.

I pressed my face deep into my pillow and let out a heavily muffled scream. I had waited for too long and had worked far too hard to arrive at this moment, only to have it fail like this. Of all the obstacles I had thought I might encounter, having the pull-up leak on me actually hadn't been something I had considered. I had figured that as long as it fit me, there wouldn't be any issue with holding at least one wetting. That it would leak like this wasn't something I had ever imagined.

What was I supposed to do now?

The immediate problem was the wet sheets. They needed to be placed in the washing machine. But there wasn't anything I could do with them at the moment. Mom and Dad weren't in bed yet. I was highly skeptical that I would be able to successfully sneak downstairs and put my bedding in the laundry room without them noticing. And who knew if Grace was asleep? She, at least, should be already, as she had to be up early in the morning for her summer job, but that was far from guaranteed.

There was no choice but to try to stay up late enough that I could get a head start on my laundry once the rest of the family was asleep.

There was too much to worry about, and I couldn't even manage to relax and enjoy the aftermath of wetting the bed like I had all of those other nights. There wasn't any comfort to be found in the warmth and squishiness beneath me, not with the implication of the leak hanging over my head.

There were far bigger problems to contend with than what to do with my bedding.

If my parents didn't think that these pull-ups were able to keep my bed dry, what was to stop them from not purchasing any more for me and going back to the plan of just changing bedding every night?

That was, by far, the worst-case scenario. It was also completely believable that my parents could end up choosing to go that route, especially with how reluctant Mom had been to even consider pull-ups as an option when confronted with that idea during the appointment with Dr. Mathorn.

The only good thing was that there were still another eleven pull-ups in my dresser drawer, which meant eleven more chances to demonstrate to my parents that these pull-ups were useful enough that they should buy more for me when they ran out.

But there was a faster deadline approaching. My birthday was this Saturday, meaning that in order to convince my parents to allow the sleepover to succeed – avoiding any awkward conversations with my friends about why it might need to be canceled – I would only have four more nights to prove to them that wearing protection was a viable option to allow me to have a discreet sleepover. Obviously, there wasn't any way I would actually be wearing a pull-up around my friends that night, let alone pee in one, but that wasn't something for my parents to know.

There was no choice but to find a way to wet these pull-ups without causing a leak. There needing to be evidence on hand that this new choice was working.

But that required knowing what went wrong. Was it as simple as just having peed far more than the pull-up was intended to handle? Was it because Mom had purchased an inferior product? Had I perhaps drunk far too much water before going to bed? Or was there some other factor at play that I wasn't aware of?

What exactly happened when someone wet the bed for real? Did they have a big accident all at once, like how I had just peed myself, or did it come out slowly in little dribbles in a way that would be much less likely to leak out of a pull-up?