Why?

Sitting on the sofa with him beside me, I couldn't explain the feeling. Then he went down on his knees again just like the last time and said, " Arial please be my wife". For the very first time, I looked at his face beholding those eyes that defy mere description. I couldn't read them, I didn't understand the feelings in his eyes but for some unforeseen reason, I thought I could be safe with him.

"Yes," I said to him with my fingers slightly shaky as he put the ring on my middle finger and that was it. I'm getting married!

He drew me into an intense hug unexpectedly. Wrapped in his arms like a newborn baby, I felt safe, away from the cruel world, away from my uncle and his wicked wife, away from reality. If this was a dream, please don't wake me up.

Slowly he let me out of his arms, his hands cupped my cheeks tracing the curve of my jaw, my lips slightly parted in what looked like an invitation, I could feel our souls collide as he leaned in, and our lips met then boom! It happened.

He kissed me, and I could feel a dozen butterflies swimming in my tummy as the kiss continued. Then I thought to myself, is this love at first sight?
Have I fallen for him or is it all in my head?

Gently he ended the Kiss and looking into my eyes he said. "Arial I'll take care of you.
"Why? " what did I just inquire about? Goodness, why am I even questioning it?

Just why? maybe I want to know why.

"I don't know," he replied, and in that moment, all the pains I had felt before meeting him resurfaced, but this time, they were even more intense.

I guess my tiny heart wanted a different answer. But in return, I was heartbroken.

Why didn't he express love, even if it were insincere? Why didn't he utter those words, especially considering our recent meeting and his proposal to which I agreed?

As tears welled up in my eyes, he looked at me with concern and asked, "What's wrong, Arial? Did I hurt you?"

"Oh yes, you certainly did!" I silently screamed within myself.

"I apologize if I did," he said. It was almost as if he had read my mind.

"It's all right; you don't need to love me."

"Let's head home," he suggested, and a small part of me felt relieved that he hadn't overheard my words.

To my surprise, he scooped me up in a bridal-style embrace, carrying me out of the building. Outside, a group of men dressed in black, exuding strength and armed readiness, hurriedly opened one of the waiting cars. It was like a well-coordinated convoy.

As we stepped into the vehicle, I couldn't help but wonder: "Who is my soon-to-be husband?"

Seated quietly in the back of the limousine, neither of us exchanged words. I gazed out the window, finally finding a moment to retreat into my sanctuary—"my mind"

And there, within the confines of my thoughts...

What is unfolding? From the festivities of my birthday party to the unexpected call from my aunt, followed by my inexplicable abduction and sudden engagement to a complete stranger—it's a whirlwind of events.

"How can I possibly convey all this to my closest friends?" They must be frantically concerned since I never returned to the party. Patral's calls have gone unanswered, and I'm sure Clara will grill me with questions.

And then there's this lingering thought: "Is it all a dream?"The encounter with Patral during my secondary school days remains in my memory, as vivid as if it happened yesterday.

Flashback***
"Good morning, dear students, Mrs. Jessica, our stern economics teacher, announced as she entered the classroom. "Get ready, for today you'll be crafting your final essays on economics." The room buzzed with anticipation as we prepared to tackle the challenging task ahead. My best friend Cassandra shot me an unprepared glance. It was clear she wasn't ready, and I knew I had to step in and assist her.
"It's alright girl, I've got your back". We all reach for our essay books. I  tore a sheet from the pages. As Mrs. Jessica began reading her questions, my fast writing skills kicked in I jotted down her queries accurately in my book while simultaneously recording the answers on the torn-out sheet.