II

I'd spent a sleepless night agonising over what I had decided. I didn't know if she wanted me back in her life. I didn't know who her new friends were. But I'd made a promise to Vivienne, and I wasn't going to break it.

You also made a promise to yourself, my brain said, but I told it to shut up.

I'd gotten ready for school excruciatingly slowly that day. I was half tempted to skip. To be fair, my parents wouldn't say no to me if I asked. Except, I wasn't a wimp. I never had been. In the history of my life, I had never chickened out of anything, and I sure as hell wasn't going to start now.

I shouldered my school bag, kissing my parents farewell, before making my way to the bus stop. The air out was chilly, and I realised, with a wave of sudden dawning realisation, that I hadn't taken the bus since I'd broken up with her. I'd always driven, or got a ride.

My parents knew when I was dating Rowan. They didn't approve of dating, exactly, but they knew that Rowan was one of those girls who are endlessly sweet; she was one of those people who didn't have a bad bone in her. Rowan had always been charming, and her charm hadn't failed on my parents. They were fond of her, even if they weren't fond of the idea of us dating.

I got off near the school. It was early, and I wasn't going to be one of those loners who sit in the classroom half an hour before school starts. Instead, I took my phone out of my pocket, busying myself with finding the nearest coffee place.

I turned the corner, only to immediately step back and do a full ballerina-style 180. For once in my life, I wished it were possible to bleach my eyes out. I wasn't sure how much help it would've been, because the ... horrific scene I'd just seen was burnt into my eyes, but at least it would've provided some measly comfort.

This, my friends, is why you don't come near the school half an hour early. So you don't see half naked people who you know making out in an alleyway.

I groaned in disgust audibly, but I hoped they wouldn't realise it was me. Instead I turned around, going through the actual roads and to the coffee shop. It wasn't too far - but the alleyway would've been quicker.

My breath caught in my throat as I turned the corner. What was my luck today?

Sitting next to the window, at the front of the coffee shop, was Brody Danmith. Naturally, next to him was his girlfriend.

She looked as pretty as ever - her fitted turtleneck wrapped around her like a hug, and the black fabric starkly contrasted the creaminess of her soft skin. Her jacket was leather, kept folded on the chair beside her.

Brody was handsome. His eyes crinkled in a smile, and I couldn't help but think that they looked so good together. But there was the slightest strain in her smiles. The expression she'd make when she was thinking something like 'God help me, I need to get out of here'. Maybe that was just me. Brody pressed a kiss to her lips as he grabbed his cup of coffee and left. I brushed shoulders with him, walking past and into the coffee shop.

The building itself was beautiful, but I wasn't much of a coffee person, so I hoped desperately they had a brownie. I walked up to the counter, smiling kindly at the lady standing there. She looked exhausted, and I wasn't surprised. I got myself a table, sliding in at the opposite corner. Somewhere where I was sure Rowan wouldn't see me.

That was until Lucy tapped on my shoulder.

I was surprised to see her, and even more surprised to see her talking to me. She slid in next to me, and the waitress put down my brownie and hot chocolate.

Yes, sue me, I eat sugar in the mornings.

I took a sip of my hot chocolate, hoping she'd get the memo and leave my very nice corner table, and leave me in peace. As per my luck, she didn't.