Chapter four

Adeline's stomach chose that moment to protest. The loud grumble made a couple of people's head turn in her direction. Her cheeks flamed but she didn't want to look up to see Felix's reaction to it.

"It sounds more like you need to be fed." He uttered trying to keep the laughter from coming through when he spoke.

"Psh. It's fine." She attempted to cover it up. Although both of them by now knew that she wasn't a good liar. She never had been.

"It's fine. I'm quite hungry myself." He reassured her.

Adelines eyes widened at the prospect. Her idea of eating wasn't a person like she thought it would be for him. She could feel the uncomfortable panic begin to worm itself back into the pit of her stomach at the few simple words.

"I don't mean in THAT way." He emphasised. Adeline looked up at him just in time to catch his eye roll at where her thoughts were automatically diverted to.

"I do eat normal food." He said sounding slighly hurt by what she thought of him.

"Sorry." She threw out there instantly.

Felix didnt reply, only nodded in acknowledgement towards her half assed apology towards him. He crossed the street but made sure she stayed close by before he entered into the old-styled pub.

Adeline twisted away from him to get a better look at the inside of the pub, having rarely been in one herself. She spent most of the time on her studies instead of in the world like her best friend had tried to get her to.

"Not what you expected?" He uncharacteristically teased her. Felix was already looking down at her by the time she'd turned to face him, she made a funny noise, half a snort half a disapproving noise at the back of her throat at him. But it didnt take too long for her attention to be drawn to the bar. A long table stretched from one side to the other, she had to wonder how they got out of the thing at the end of their shifts. When they drew closer to it, she inspected it from top to bottom only to find no evidence of a hidden door anyewhere. The stool was far more comfortable than what it looked. Adeline melted into the softened warned fabric with a sigh of relief.

"What you having tonight?" The bar tender spat out at Felix after he took one look of disgust at him, but a curious one at her.

"Rum and coke." He grunted back at him.

The bartender disappeared without waiting for Adeline to tell him what she wanted. But came back straight away to slam down Felix's drink; some splashed out over the sides as it settled itself and threw a menu half hazardously in Adelines direction. Felix raised his eyebrows but didn't comment on his rough behaviour.

"Can I please get a burger and fries, with a coke?" It came out more of a question than Adeline meant it to.

The guy snorted but nodded in her direction.

"Make that two burgers." Felix glowered before he could completely disappear.

"Didn't think you'd be having proper food!" The bartender called over his shoulder clearly at the expense of Adeline. Felix growled lowly; the bartender's attitude was wearing thin on him. His eyes shifted towards Adeline who stiffened on her bar stool instantly when she realised what he'd meant by his backhanded comment.

"Don't listen to him. It's not why I brought you here." Felix reassured her. She slowly relaxed back in. her seat, the blush warmed up her body.

By the time he'd forcefully hit the plates down in front of them, the harshness of the act breaking their awkwardness, neither one of them knew what to say to start of a conversation, it had broken Felix's last nerve.