Chapter eight

Adeline entered the classroom five minutes after it started huffing and puffing from having to run to get there even that early. All eyes turned to her as the door slammed shut, she shrunk back only wishing the floor would open up for her to jump into it.

"Take your seat Adeline. I understand your lateness given how this class wasn't originally now." The professor took the heat off of her. It didn't quell some of her classmates, Adeline rolled her eyes at how childish they acted when they turned to one another and whispered behind their hands.

Adeline took the aisle seat for convenience her head faced the floor she hazardously strew the contents onto the table. Her heart stopped dead in her chest until it resumed its normal rhythm, she caught Fayne stood at the front next to the professor. He gave her a satisfied grin as if he'd heard the break, on the right-side hidden half behind the front row Felix peeked out to let her know he was also there. Adeline took in a sharp breath her hand covered her mouth.

"What wrong?" The person next to her whispered curious to what she was doing.

Adeline shook her head; uncertain she could trust her voice would come out normally and tried to act like everything was perfectly normal. But it seemed to be anything but.

"These are two assistants that will be taking over the lectures for the next couple of months while I go on sabbatical. I trust you will all treat them as you do me." He gestured to the two men who took that as their turn to step forward.

Whispers broke out across the class about the two men while their eyes were only focussed solely on Adeline. Adeline looked away back down at her books, her only thought was how long it would take for the class to end, and she could talk to them, to ask them what they thought they were doing.

"We won't make this a long start." Fayne's voice droned on while Felix interrupted occasionally, eventually he went to hand out bits of paper to the end of the row to take one and pass it on.

"We need to talk." Adeline hissed out when he was close enough, she knew if she'd said I earlier he would have heard; but that gave him more of an excuse to avoid it. It was Fayne that replied as he stopped mid-sentence to give her a bemused smirk, Felix kept his features as stoic as usual. Not paying any attention to her the closer he got.

Felix's hand brushed up against hers when she took the stack from him. He withdrew a breath but didn't pull his hand back quickly. Instead let his hand linger there for a couple of seconds before he attempted to move to the last couple of rows.

Adeline's eyebrows knitted together in confusion, if he was going to avoid talking to her, then why would he do that?

"Study the case law surrounding medical negligence and write a three-thousand-word essay on what it is with its importance." Fayne dismissed all of them finally.

Unlike how the class would usually rush to the door, pushing and shoving each other to be the first ones out; the majority of the students took their time to exit. Some even going up to the front of the room to talk to Fayne only to turn away disappointed.

Adeline had waited until the classroom was extremely sparce to walk up to them. Fayne crossed his arms over his chest and Felix just looked at her guiltily before his walls were back up.

"You're taking over one of my classes. And didn't feel the need to tell me?" She asked holding in her anger as much as possible. Adeline's hands gripped the notebook so tightly in her hands they'd begun to turn white at her knuckles.

"I don't have to tell you much. You are just a student in the class." Fayne replied in flawlessly, it only highlighted his lack of his accent he had the first time she'd met him. Not having picked up on it during the class.