Chapter six

The rest of the week went in a similar fashion. She'd swapped numbers with Fayne to keep in contact with him when she got back to her dorm after having grown some sort of friendship with him. Felix continued to follow her at night, even sometimes during the day, he came out of the shadows to warn her off going to certain places now instead of waiting for her to straight into the danger. Adeline had taken her friends advice and splurged out on some new clothes for when she got back and got both a present each that she thought they would appreciate.

Adeline strolled into the safety of her dorm room. She never thought she would be so happy to see inside of the dingy room than she was at that moment. The peace and security it brought with it was too much to handle. Adeline flumped down on her bed as she decided to nap before she unpacked the luggage she brought back with her.

Adeline took a longer nap than was intended, she woke up after it had turned dark which plunged her into complete darkness. Even with her eyes wide open she still couldn't see properly around her. But she did know the hackles on the back of her neck were stood up on their ends. Adeline lied perfectly still as she attempted to work out what was going on. She wiped the sleep out of her eyes. Adeline got up out of the bed, went to turn her phone on only to see it was dead. She huffed at the irony as she felt her way over to the lamp on her bedside table to give her some sort of light to continue.

"Ouch!" She hissed out as her knee caught the side of it. She rubbed her knee while she let out a string of profanities and glared at where it should have been. She reached around, to flick the light on the feeling was still present. Adeline shook her head as she put it off to her paranoia, that it would evaporate in the next couple of hours. She shrugged it off before she went to the bathroom.

Even a couple of hours as she sat watching a film Adeline couldn't help but feel as if she were being watched, followed. It didn't feel like Felix's presence did. It felt heavier, darker than that. With an aura of evil covered by what she didn't know.

Every time she turned a corner or entered a new room, since she woke up, she caught a glimpse of something out of the corner of her eye. A flicker of movement, a shadow that shouldn't be there. It was all starting to wear on her nerves.

Deciding that enough was enough, she threw off the covers and stood up, determined to face whatever it was that was haunting her. With a deep breath, she stepped out of the room and into the dimly lit hallway. Her footsteps echoed against the polished wooden floor as she made her way toward the dorm door, she clutched her room key tightly in one hand.

Just as she stepped out of the door, she caught a glimpse of something moving out of the corner of her eye. Whirling around, she came face-to-face with one of the men from the park. The one with the fangs that ran away. Her heart stopped in her chest; her breath caught in her throat. He stood there, motionless as a statue, just watching her with those unblinking eyes.

"You," she managed to croak, her voice barely audible over the thunderous sound of her racing heart. "What do you want from me?"

The man tilted his head to the side, studying her with those unnerving eyes. "You," he said simply, "are not meant to be here."

Adeline's heart skipped a beat. "What do you mean?" she asked, her voice trembled. She held the key tighter, but knew from when she'd stabbed Felix it wouldn't do much good. The most she could hope was that he wasn't too far away.

"I live here."

The man let out a soft chuckle, shaking his head slightly. "No, my dear," he said, his voice impossibly smooth and seductive. "You are meant for something much greater than this."