9

We pulled into the house, and I was eager to test my hypothesis about Chan and his sugary sweet lips. I wondered if he could tell that my energy had changed. Maybe he figured I was just on a sugar high from the French toast.

I could sense the tension between us as we sat in the confined space of the vehicle. I could hear our hearts beating. I turned towards him, hoping for a kiss, but he opened the door before I could speak.

I watched as he walked over to the wall and hung up his key. He opened the door for me, and I gave him a small smile, having lost my nerve. We opened the door and walked back into the house. I didn't know what I was meant to be doing, so I stood awkwardly in the doorway as he went to sit on the sofa.

"What's wrong?" he laughed.

I opened my mouth to speak but was interrupted by a loud bellowing voice. "Christopher!"

Our eyes both snapped towards the entrance to the hallway to see Chan's dad.

"What the fuck are you doing here?" Chan spat.

"Don't you take that tone with me," he reprimanded.

I moved quickly to stand beside Chan. I didn't want to be in the middle of them or anywhere close to his father. I clung to his arm, worried about the reason for his being here.

"Her parents have been calling me all day and night asking whether you two have consummated the marriage," he complained. "I ask you to do one thing, Chan. One thing!"

Chan allowed his father to berate him and hung his head in silence.

"All you had to do was fuck her. And she's cute. I wasn't so lucky when my parents picked a wife for me."

"Dad...I..." he began but was interrupted.

"You two are going to go back there and get this over with so that her parents can stop calling me every two minutes asking for proof."

I felt sick to my stomach. I clenched Chan's bicep so tightly that he winced.

"She doesn't want to," Chan explained.

"I don't fucking..." he was cut off by the sound of his phone ringing. He sighed and pulled it out, not even looking to see who it was. He put it on speakerphone.

"Is it done yet?" I heard my father ask.

"I'm here right now. It'll be done soon."

"Is your son usually so bad at following directions?" my mother bit.

"Your daughter is apparently the one who's been stopping anything from happening," his dad told them.

"Is your son often overpowered by women?" my mom snapped, her voice like a whip.

I felt disgusted that they wanted this done so badly that they didn't care whether or not I consented. They didn't care if I was scared or unwilling. They'd rather Chan rape me than wait for me to be ready. They were that desperate for a payday.

"It will be done soon," his dad grunted through ground teeth.

He hung up and glared at us.

"I don't care what the reason is as to why you two haven't done what's been asked of you. But you will go back into that room. And you will get it done, or so help me god I will have one of my men here with the snap of my finger."

Chan sucked in a sharp breath. If I didn't know any better, I'd say he looked afraid.

"Do you understand me, Christopher?"

Chan, to my surprise, nodded. He turned to me with pitiful eyes and muttered, "We have to."

"Chan," I croaked out. I didn't want to. I had thought about kissing him, but this was completely different.