Chapter 10: Tight

I was nervous to meet Eira's family. While getting dressed, I actually questioned my decision to get myself invited to my girlfriend's birthday. Yes, I was not going to deny that I wrangled that invitation from Eira because I wanted to be recognized as the man that she was seeing.

"At ngayon, heto ka ninenerbiyos. Bakit kasi ipinilit mo 'to?" I quietly asked myself. "Ang sabi nga ng girlfriend mo, 'di ba, ay tapos na sila n'ung Nathan kaya wala kang rason para ma-insecure?"

But, I couldn't help but feel anxious when I learned that Eira's ex and his family would be there. I was afraid that they would be able to pressure or convince Eira into getting back with that jerk.

Pero, matalino ang girlfriend mo, hindi 'yun basta-bastang madadala kahit ano ba ang sabihin ng pamilya n'ya. O, hindi nga ba?

I realized that the fact that Eira and I were strangers despite immensely enjoying each other in bed was a huge factor in my uncertainty – I didn't really know how her mind worked.

"Bren, stop," I told my reflection on the mirror. "Pagdududahan mo talaga si Eira? Sa inyong dalawa, s'ya 'yung dehado kasi s'ya 'yung babae. Nabulag ka na ba ng mga babaeng nanloko sa'yo at hindi mo nakikita na diyamante 'yung nasa harap mo?"

Bakit ba kasi ganito ako mag-isip? I silently asked myself as I sprayed perfume on my wrist.

My girlfriend chose everything that I was wearing. And I had to admit that it was a new feeling having a woman choosing things for me and even offering to pay for them instead of watching on the sidelines as they picked items from the rack for themselves and expecting you to pay for them.

"Gusto mo bang ipa-laundry muna natin 'yan? Samahan kita," she had offered but I had declined.

"Ako na ang bahala. May express laundry service naman ang hotel. Besides, may party ka at kailangan na kitang ihatid sa inyo. Or else baka lalong magalit sa akin ang Mommy mo," I had told her and she had reluctantly agreed.

I heard my phone beep and I picked it up from the dresser. It was a message from an unknown number.

Talagang blinock mo ako? Kailangan ko pang bumili ng new SIM para ka lang ma-contact. Galit na naman sa akin si Mommy kaya umalis muna ako ng bahay. Kailangan kita. Call me ASAP, the message simply said and I instantly knew from whom it was.

"Itong babaeng ito ang sakit nito sa ulo," I muttered under my breath as I blocked the new number.

Brooke was my first love and admittedly, I was crazy over her. I met her shortly after I arrived in Subic through Henry who introduced me to her because she was his then-girlfriend's younger cousin.

We did not hit it off immediately – I found her childish and she thought that I was a snob. But since both Harry and Gene had girlfriends and she always tagged along with Henry's girl, Mimi, we were left with no choice but to be friendly towards each other.

We became a couple because she dared to kiss me. Unfortunately for me, I fell hard and thought that she was the one. I was a romantic fool.

It was my first relationship and I experienced nearly all my firsts with her – kissing, making out that graduated to heavy petting, lover's quarrels that lasted for days and which usually ended up with me begging her on my knees, and a heartbreak that nearly killed me.

"Brooke! O, bakit ka tumawag? Not that, I do not want you to call pero alam ko kasing busy ka palagi."

"Hello, Bren..."

"Pasensya ka na if I sound too excited. I did not expect this call at all. Akala ko sa Sabado ka pa tatawag. Happy anniversary!"

"Ha? Ahh...oo nga pala..."