7

Taraji POV

Feeling the morning chill hit my skin when I step outside into the garden to meet with my mother for me to pick the flowers for the Gala. The aroma of the flowers hits me like a wave of the most beautiful mix of scents together. The garden is one of my favorite places to go. It always smells good and sometimes; you can hear the music from the street of the village. And if you were really lucky, at night, the moon will hit the garden perfectly that the entire garden was alive with colors. Like the flowers, bugs, and vines were activated by the moonlight.

"Good morning my child." My mother said a with a beam in her eyes. She is so excited for this gala, mainly because she wants me to be married off. It is the biggest rite of passage as a royal. My mother could not wait. Me on the other hand, was not ready for that commitment in such a short amount of time.

"Morning mother." I say with a smile on my face, giving her a kiss on the cheek and taking her hand in mine. "We are picking flowers for tomorrow I assume?"

"Yes, now I was thinking roses. They are elegant and classy and just so beautiful."

"Anything but roses. Please, they are basic and plus they don't go with the white and light blue theme we have going."

"I thought they would be a nice touch, but if you insist, lets walk then." She drops my hand, and she takes the lead walking into the different flowers. My mother curated this garden specifically for things like this. Not only to admire, but to have an interesting pool of flowers to choose from for important events.

"Any you are thinking of, my dear?"

"None that I specifically have in mind. I know I want baby's breath, it's one of daddy's favorites and it would look super pretty as center pieces with the blue tablecloths."

"Oh, Samuel will love that. And your right, they would look beautiful."

"I want something else to compliment, since we have so many blue elements. The tablecloths, the plates, and most of the decorations. We need more white accents."

"I raised you so well. Oh, the parties you are going to have once you get married. They are just going to be lovely. What about Gardenias. Oh, white gardenias are so pretty."

With the mention of marriage, my mood shifts. She wants me married so early. I want to have love. Like mom and dad have, not just arranged or feeling like I must pick someone. I want to feel the fireworks, the spark, I want to feel my heart skip a beat. I want to know that this person will be with me forever and love me always. "Gardenias are pretty, but I don't think they are what I'm looking for." Trying not to let her notice my shift.

"Baby don't do this. We have talked about this. You will grow to love who you choose. Your gala tomorrow will be perfect, and you will pick the best man for you, and you will be married."

"Mama, you're not listening to me. I have more options than just men. You have to let the option be open. And I don't want to grow to love someone. I want to be in love with someone. I don't want to settle for someone."

"You don't like women. Or at least you don't know that. You have no experience with anything like that so how would you know?"

"I may not have experience, but I know what I feel. Why can't you be like daddy and just accept me for what I am?" I say with tears in my eyes.

"Baby. I-" She says stumbling on her words. "I do accept you."

"Just forget it mom. Let's pick out these flowers." I say drying up the tears that are threatening to drop. "What about Lilly of the Valley drooping from the vines that we are setting up in the ballroom?"