8

Taraji POV

Feeling a jolt of a weight hit my body, with laughter and giggles following the act. I open my eyes to see Marissa sitting on top of me with balloons next to the bed.

"HAPPY BIRTHDAY RAJI!" She said giving me the biggest hug. "The big 20. I can't believe it."

"Thank you, Rissa." Noticing the sun still isn't up yet, "What time is it?"

"It is 4 AM. Your mother is still asleep, but I know that this will be the only time for us to hang out after your mom gets up. Cause you know she will be all over you all day and not let anyone else see you."

"I'm just hoping today will go smoothly, and that my mom doesn't lose her mind today."

"I'm sure everything will go fine." She says as she remembers something and jumps up from the bed. "Oh, I got you a present."

"You didn't have to do that."

"Girl, I love you and you get me presents for my birthday and stuff so it my turn." Grabbing a box from the vanity on the other side of the room and walking over to me. "Here." Handing me the purple box.

Opening the box I see a set of jewelry. A gold necklace, ring, earrings, and bracelet adorned with diamonds were in the box. "Marissa I can't take this. This must have cost a lot." Looking at Marissa giving me a look, it was very threatening. "It's absolutely gorgeous Marissa. Thank you so much." Realizing that she won't take no for an answer, I hug her and again admire the set. "This will go perfectly with my dress tonight. Thank you."

"I can't wait to see it. You're going to look stunning."

"If everything comes out right, the entire venue will blend perfectly with my outfit and what everyone is wearing."

"I'm sure it will be. You are a master at planning events, always have been. You remember the tea [parties you would plan?"

"Girl, our dolls were drinking in luxury."

"Yea they were, we would dress up, and have a theme and color palette every time."

After a good laugh, some reminiscing, and talking, the sun starts coming up which means my mom will be in here soon to collect me for the day, so I go get a shower in and get dressed in some comfortable clothes. Hearing the door open, I know my mother is here.

"Good morning baby. Happy birthday!" She says as she walks up to me and gives a huge hug. "Good you already showered. It's time to get some breakfast and then start getting you ready. Your hair will be done immediately after breakfast, then décor essentials and getting them how you want it, then makeup and getting dressed all before 5 when the gala starts."

"I have no room to breathe today do I?"

"I can help with décor if you want to step out at any point to just breathe. You'll probably need it. This is a lot for you, I know it."

"Thank you, mom. I wanna go see dad, let's go to breakfast. Bye, Rissa, see you at the gala tonight." I say, grabbing onto my mother's arm and her leading the way to the dining hall. Once we get there, I see my father sitting in his chair and I run up to him. "Hi daddy!"

"Hello, my princess. Happy birthday. Your 20, that is so crazy. How are you doing this morning?"

"I'm doing good. A little nervous but okay."

"Understandable. Let's eat shall we." I sit next to my father and my mother on the side of the table. We dig into the food and have a light conversation. Once the food is over, we get down to business.