C4: Dreamless

Chapter 4: Dreamless

   For the rest of the year, Yuji remained alienated by his classmates and other students at his school. Yuji learned to ignore their taunts and teasing. Distancing himself from the others as much as possible so that he wouldn't lose his temper. It would be bad if he got himself in trouble. If he loses his temper, he isn't sure if he can control himself to not retaliate.

If he retaliated, the only thing that would happen was his grandpa being called by a teacher because of him. Yuji would be the one who would punish. Not them. After all, how could the teachers blame the other students when they were weak? They would only lie and say that Yuji hurt them and the teachers would believe what they said.

It was unfair.

When the winter break came around, Yuji felt relieved. Yuji celebrated the winter holidays like Christmas and New Year with his grandpa. Yuji didn't stop insisting on helping his Grandpa in the kitchen. He was happy that his relentless pestering had finally some result during the winter break. However, his grandpa insisted on Yuji just fetching some things when his grandpa was cooking and watching his grandpa cook.

Watching his grandpa during the winter break prepare everything by himself, Yuji swore to himself that he would get his grandpa to teach him to cook and let Yuji cook dishes and meals for them.

During the new year, Yuji and his Grandpa like most of the residents of Sendai City went to one of the temples around the Sendai. Their City has several temples like the Rinnoji Temple, Toshoji Temple, Toshogo Shrine, Atago Jinja Shrine, Koshoji Temple, Zuihoji Temple, Seijokoin Temple, Shifukuji Temple, Ryuuin Temple and others.

There were a lot of temples in their City.

Dressing on occasion, Yuji was looking forward to their visit to a temple. Upon their arrival, Yuji was very enthusiastic. Waiting with his grandpa among the people who line up to ring the bell and make a wish.

There were a lot of people who visited the temple during the new year. According to his grandpa, people who have gone to the temples wish that this year's event would be safe from disasters and that their families and loved ones would be safe from harm. The same wish that Yuji has. For his grandpa to be safe and live a long life. To their City to be not plagued by danger.

Considering what happened the previous year in spring, it was normal for the people in the City and Yuji to make that kind of wish. His grandpa told Yuji, that his wish was the same as the people of Sendai and Yuji.

After wishing for a good year with his Grandpa, a thought suddenly entered Yuji's mind.

' Dream... '

Yuji suddenly realizes something important. Seeing Yuji startled, Itadori Wasuke glanced at his grandson.

" Careful Yuji. You nearly stumbled on your steps. Why did you get distracted? "

Glancing back at his Grandpa and holding his hands, Yuji wondered if he should answer his Grandpa's question. Instead, Yuji just shook his head and cheekily smiled.

" I remembered something silly. "

Yuji's grandpa sighed. Ruffling his grandson's head for a bit, Wasuke grumbled.

" Let's hurry and return home. "

" Yes! "

When the New Year and Winter Break ended, it was once again time for Yuji to return to school. Now that Yuji realizes something important, that he stopped dreaming he wonders what happened. What is the cause of it? When did he stop dreaming? Why did he only recently realize this?

It's true that once he wakes up, Yuji mostly forgets his dreams. But, those dreams would still leave a faint impression. And then he would only forget those impressions for a few days later.

Now, he only has nothingness.

No dreams.

No Nightmares.

' It's a good thing, right? "

With no dreams, he doesn't have nightmares. Yuji would only have a peaceful deep sleep.

He wondered why the idea does bother him. Is it because having a Dreamless dream is unusual? There's a possibility that there are people who experience Dreamless sleep like Yuji.

' It was like something was missing...'

It was like a part of Yuji's memories was gone.

As the thought passed in Yuji's mind, it came and passed quickly like nothing had happened. The realization disappeared and was replaced by confusion.

' What was I thinking again? '

Shaking his head, Yuji glanced towards his classmates who continued to ignore him and had made their friend groups.

Yuji felt relief that they were only ignoring him and looked like they didn't have any plans of teasing him or attempting to get him in trouble with the teachers. Yuji should just leave before they change their mind.

After the start of classes for the Winter Break, the rest of Yuji's remaining school year for 3rd Grade passed by quickly. There are various lessons, homework, and projects from the teachers. He was alienated when it came to the group and Yuji endured his groupmates ignoring his presence. He was only thankful that they included his name in their group.

On March 20, Yuji celebrated his 9th Birthday with his grandpa at their home. His wish was for his grandpa to live a long life different from his previous years' wish of having his father and mother come back home.

On March 25, Yuji along with the other students of their primary school gathered together for the year-end ceremony. Listening to the principal's speech and forcing himself not to fall asleep like some of the other students, he decided to distract himself.

Like thinking about the most memorable thing that Yuji did for his 3rd grade.

' Collecting bugs for my Science Project with Grandpa. '

It was the most memorable thing that entered Yuji's mind. It was also one of the happiest moments that Yuji had spent his time together with his grandpa in the previous year.

While reminiscing about that moment on Yuji's summer vacation, Yuji remembered that until now the insect trapped inside the Chrysalis hadn't shown any signs of breaking out of its shell.

' Is it dead? '

Yuji wondered. The Chrysalis was still inside a pet tank in Yuji's room. During the previous year, Yuji was always looking at it every day for any sign of changes and talking to it. However, as time passed, Yuji grew tired of waiting and looking for any sign of change.

Nowadays, Yuji has forgotten to look at it. Mostly ignoring its presence in his room. Hopefully, this year, it will get out of its shell.

On March 27, in one of the days of Spring Break, Yuji woke up seeing nothing but darkness in his sight.