iv

CHIRON MOVED PERCY INTO CABIN THREE THE NEXT DAY.

eve and annabeth visited his new home, and saw that he had plenty of room for all his stuff: the minotaur horn, one set of spare clothes and his toiletry bag. he even got to sit at his own dinner table, pick all his own activities, call 'lights out' whenever he felt like it and not listen to anybody else.

and eve could tell he was absolutely miserable.

nobody mentioned the hellhound, yet the attack had scared everybody. everyone was panicking that since percy was the son of the sea god, that the monsters would stop at nothing to kill him. they could even invade a camp that had always been considered safe.

eve noticed that the other campers steered clear of percy as much as possible. cabin eleven was too nervous to have sword class with him after what he'd done to the ares folks in the woods, so his lessons with luke became one-on-one. 

he pushed him harder than ever, eve could tell. 

because she saw him in the lake and at the healer tent with bruises frequently.

"you're gonna end up collapsing one day percy- i'll talk to luke, he can't push you this hard." eve said.

"i'm okay- i need to work harder then ever now." percy reassured her.

annabeth still taught him greek in the mornings, and eve noticed she seemed distracted when she was around him.

after lessons, she would walk away muttering to herself: "quest... poseidon?... dirty rotten... got to make a plan..."

she wouldn't tell eve what she was thinking about- so she knew she had to do something.

"hey! einstein?" eve asked as she walked into cabin six to find annabeth. 

she found her sitting in her bed scribbling something down in her notebook.

eve sat down next to her, and tried to look over her shoulder to see what she was writing, but between the cursive handwriting and her dyslexia- she got nothing.

"we need to talk." eve stated seriously.

annabeth immediately dropped her notebook and looked directly towards her. 

"okay- what should we talk about?"

the two girls lied down as annabeth placed her head on her best friends shoulders as they talked.

"i know i've been going a bit overkill trying to plan for a quest and i know that i've been ignoring you- i'm really sorry eve." annabeth said sincerely.

"you- wait, no." eve shook her head. "i'm not mad at you- it's just i feel like you're closing off and i'm just worried about you."

"i- i know, i'm sorry. i just got so fixated on the possibility of being able to get on a quest with you and i wanted to make sure that no matter what happened it would go perfect and we'd prove ourselves and-"

"you're rambling again annabeth." eve gently interrupted.

"i know, i'm sorry. i'm just- excited? looking towards the possibility a lot?" annabeth tried to put it into words, but even she didn't know how she felt about this opportunity. 

"we're not even sure if we'll get a quest and what it'll be for yet." eve reminded her.

"i- i just feel it, i mean think about it. the weather has been going insane lately, the gods seemed super tense during the winter solstice, another child of the big three even though they swore that oath? it's all just so much and i don't think i can process it all..."