23. Uditi (Part 3)

Nishita studied Jagdish's photo, contemplating whether they would make a good couple.

It had been a week already.

She had gleaned a few key traits about him - he was a man of action, prioritizing deeds over mere words, and he prided himself on his maturity and rationality. His commitment to his work was paramount, placing it above all other considerations. This was further underscored by his deep affection for his family, evident in his attentive demeanor and agreeable nods as he listened to his mother that day.

All these qualities stood in stark contrast to her own.

While she also cherished her career and family, she placed herself above all else and embraced self-reliance. Some might call this selfish, but she believed that no one else would care for her as deeply as she could care for herself. She had learned to love herself fiercely, knowing that true happiness and fulfillment came from within. No one could offer the kind of unconditional love that parents give to their children, as her own parents had done for her.

Could she truly depend on a husband for such unconditional love and support? She had doubts, seeing how transient and conditional love could be within the people around her.

But was there more to Jagdish than what met the eye? She wasn't sure.

How could someone like Mrs. Singh give birth to such a reserved individual? The thought puzzled her.

His eyes had something more...

Maybe there was more to Jagdish Veer Singh than his silence suggested, and she felt a growing curiosity to unravel the layers of his character.

--

"Nishi, has Jagdish Ji contacted you regarding your next meeting?"

It had been over two weeks, and her aunt wouldn't shut up asking about the next meeting, or date, as she put it.

Well, Jagdish Ji appeared to have either completely forgotten about his visit to Pune and meeting the girl his mother intended for him to marry, or perhaps he simply had no interest in pursuing anything further and had already called it off without a second thought. The uncertainty surrounding his intentions and the lack of communication were both frustrating and puzzling. She wished for a more definitive answer or a clear path forward, rather than being left in this state of limbo, unsure of where she stood in his plans or if there was even a future between them.

And she hated to handle this attention alone.

"You can ask him yourself; I am sure you have Mrs. Singh's phone number from all the rishtas you keep bringing up, Mami," she replied, irritation evident in her tone.

Her aunt, the great Srimati Supriya Prasad, wrinkled her nose in a mixture of disbelief and disapproval. "You were the one who insisted on another meeting to finalize things," she retorted, her tone laced with a hint of accusation. "We were never afforded such luxuries in our time, and yet here you are, contemplating your choices as if it were a casual affair."

"Bhabhi, we are in a different era now," her mother interjected, her voice reflecting understanding. "We can't expect our children to agree to marriages arranged by us. After all, they are the ones who will have to live together and make it work."

"We all had successful marriages, and we're living a better life," her aunt countered, her tone slightly defensive. "Why should we dismiss everything our parents did as wrong? Don't they want what's best for their children? Don't we as elders want to spare them from unnecessary suffering?"

Fucking shit, why can't she just leave!

Nishita's frustration grew. "Mami, not everything is about 'not suffering,'" she commented. "It's about love, respect, and... Well, why am I even bothering to explain things to you? You're just going to mock anyway!"

She pushed herself off the sofa and stormed into her room, slamming the door behind her.

"Nishita!" she heard her mother shout, a tone that conveyed frustration.

--

A/N

"Lat Lag Gayee" has always been my favorite upbeat song to dance to with my bestie. Actually, it still is! We danced to it in my kitchen while making sandwiches when she visited, much to my husband's amusement as he rolled his eyes and commented- "You and your Hindi peppy numbers."

Also, Nishita is probably addicted now--- Mujhe toh teri lat lag gayee lag gayeee...

Vote share comment :)