24. Uditi (Part 4)

"Why do you look like someone slapped you with shit?" Devika's voice entered her bedroom, breaking the silence.

Why was she upset? A very good question, indeed, but Nishita had no answer.

"Did you talk to that worthless friend of useless Jagdish?" She asked her friend, her tone tinged with anger.

It had been over a month now, and the situation was becoming increasingly burdensome. Nishita longed for clarity—a definitive answer or a scheduled meeting date. The ambiguity was starting to take its toll.

She never imagined a man could wield such influence over her.

Nishita wanted answers, and a clear path forward, but Jagdish's silence only added to her confusion. She couldn't understand why he had drifted away or what he truly felt. All she knew was that she needed closure, one way or another, to move forward.

Although she had harbored doubts about Jagdish at first, she found herself unable to ignore the profound effect he had on her. His influence lingered in the corridors of her mind, igniting a tumultuous whirlwind of emotions that eluded her grasp. There was an inexplicable attraction drawing her towards him, a magnetic force that both fascinated and vexed her, leaving her in a state of perplexity.

Why was she so curious? Again, a good question to which she had no answer.

"No," Devika replied simply, cutting through her thoughts.

Baffled, Nishita looked at her. "So, why did you even bother getting his number?" she inquired, her brow furrowing in confusion. "I thought you were keen on that Chandrakant fellow."

Devika's features contorted briefly, a mix of emotions flickering across her face before she masked them. "For you, in case you needed to talk," she explained, her tone tinged with a hint of sarcasm. "Obviously, you wouldn't reach out to Jagdish Ji because your ego is more prominent than your heart or brain combined."

"I'm not being egoistic," Nishita countered defensively.

"Then why haven't you made the call?" Devika's words sliced through the air, leaving a sharp sting in their wake.

Nishita replied, her voice tinged with frustration, "He's the one who suggested the next meeting, so shouldn't he be the one to initiate it?"

Devika chuckled, "Since when did you become the shy girl waiting for her 'saiyyan' to call?"

What the fuck has happened to me?

That remark struck a chord, causing Nishita to pause, surprised by its truth. She realized that if Jagdish wasn't going to make a move, she should. What was holding her back from taking control of her own destiny?

Kanha! What am I doing?

You are rotting your mind over a man, that's happening, Nishu.

She felt a lump in her throat, realizing she was acting like one of those female leads from a Star Plus drama, waiting for her husband to come home so they could have dinner together.

Shit!

Retrieving her phone, she typed the digits engraved in her memory after countless failed attempts. Yet, as her fingers hovered over the dial logo, a wave of uncertainty washed over her.

She glanced at Devika, seeking reassurance in her friend's calm demeanor.

"I should wait, what if he's not interested?" she muttered, furrowing her brow in contemplation.

Devika shrugged nonchalantly. "Well, it would be the end. Better to focus on your preparations than fretting over a man."

Perhaps her dear friend had a point. It seemed prudent to brace for the possibility of rejection. But deep down, a twinge of fear gnawed at her. The thought of hearing him say no filled her with dread. She didn't want him to reject her. In fact, she yearned for the opposite outcome—perhaps even marr—

Her phone rang aloud, startling her mind and thoughts. She blinked in surprise.

"Hello?"

A deep, resonant voice emanated from the other end of the line. "I... Can we meet next week?"

And a flicker of something indiscernible incited within her heart, leaving her momentarily breathless.

"Jagdish..." She inhaled his name, engraving it in her breath like oxygen for life.

And agreed to his invitation. "Yes."

--

A/N

A month? Seriously who would wait for so long?

Just imagining two of my particular female characters from the other stories who would have gone to Mumbai, slapped Jagdish, and said to fuck off XD

If you have read all my stories, can you guess who it would be? XD

"Bairi Piya" makes me cry, cause my goddess Shreya Ghosal was tiny (I was way tinier than her when I listened to it for the first time XD) when she sang this song, and OMG she got a national award for the first go. A die-hard fan!

This song suits the whole tormented yet cute Nishita over here.

Vote share comment :)