Chapter 50

A bright light.

A low murmur of voice.

A bell.

A constant beeping sound.

-

A piercing headache.

Dry lips.

Heavy hands.

Unmoving legs.

She tried to open her eyes.

Once.

Twice.

Thrice.

On the fourth time she managed to get them open.

Her sight was blurry, unable to focus on any one thing.

She tried lifting her arm to shield her eyes from the bright light.

"Oh my, careful darling."

A nurse.

Alayna attempted to speak.

All she let out was a croak.

The nurse paged the doctor, pushing the light away and dimming the other lights of the room.

"Is that better darling?"

Alayna's eyes could focus now, she could see the nurse now. She was smiling at Alayna, waiting for some affirmation. Alayna nodded.

The doctor came and before starting the check up, instructed the nurse to tell Alayna what had happened.

"So darling, you delivered your baby girl and then you had a haemorrhage. You then slipped into a coma, it has been a week since. You are fine now, and so is your baby girl. She is thriving she had to stay in the NICU for a while and she has had a steady recovery as will you."

Her baby was truly a fighter.

She nodded to the nurse.

She was alive.

She'll recover.

She was going to live the life she didn't want to leave behind.

-

After an intense 2 weeks of rest, Alayna was due to go home.

She was holding her baby herself, completely independently.

She looked at the little girl, who's eyes were similar to her own. She had grown hair that was still sparse in some areas. Cihan enjoyed straightening it up with some water to resemble spikes.

They could only laugh, but Alayna never missed the way he was gentle when he touched his sister, when he would come with a new toy he would show his sister.

Xavier was afraid to hold her, but he was always here with a new gift, insisting that she would need it.

He was mad at her for a few minutes. He had found out about the house.

They talked about it, she told him it was a gift. He was family and he deserved it. It took him week to warm up to the idea, Alayna had then struck a deal with him. He could go 2 weeks after they had brought the baby home. He shook his head.

"I- I know this is cheeky to ask but you know that shed in your garden, can you turn into a house for me. I don't want to live away from you guys."

It dawned on her that he was afraid, he didn't like to live alone before and the time he had spent with them was invaluable.

"Of course, but I'd be fine with you living in your room, like you currently do."

"I feel like I'm intruding."

"We could get the top floor done, its completely bare and it would be easier to sort out. I had people check it out and its fine, I've had mould treatment done. The rest of things can be easily fixed."

"You would do that for me?"

"Of course I would."

"Now go check on your nephew please."

He smiled.

"I can never repay you."

"I don't need you to Xavier. You're family."

She looked over at her husband who was already staring at her.

Mikhail was delighted to see Alayna, he refused to leave when she awoke, not that he did when she was in the coma.

"What should we name her?" Mikhail asked the keeper of his heart.

She thought as she held her daughter close.

"Aasira we should have our mother's names as her middles names to honour them. What was your mother's name?"

"Leena", he whispered.

"Aasira Leena-Ayla." She said a bit louder.

She held her up so she could look into her eyes.

"Your mom loves and she'd burn the world for you. Aasira, my love, you can live your life with no fear nor regrets, I'll be there to sort anything that goes wrong out. I'll be there. Your mom will be there, she's not going anywhere." Tears escaped. From everyone.

The curse on the Khan women had been broken. Alayna had broken it.

She would live with her children in her new life, in her new home.

She had done it all.

She had failed.

She had fought.

And now she was going to live, with her husband until every strand on their head turned grey.

Alayna was going to live for all the women that came before her, who had not been unable to live life as they wished.

She was going to protect her daughter and now she knew there was always a better day written. It was always written for her to experience the dark days before the brighter ones.

It was always written.

She had persevered long enough to see what was written.

This was it.

Her happy ever after.

THE END

I'm in literal tears.

My babies are happy 😭😭