Little by Little...

I slowly tip toed my way out of the dark room and into what I assumed was the living room.

It was pitch black as I looked around in hopes of spotting any clue which would lead me to the kitchen.

Instead of finding a clue, I found my mate sleeping on the couch in front of the television. He had one of his legs dangling off the couch and one of his arms draped over his eyes.

His chest rose and fell at a slow pace which surprisingly calmed me down.

I swallowed and that is when I remembered what I had come outside to do in the first place.

I just randomly walked through a doorway and it turned out to be just what I was looking for.

Luckily, I found a glass placed on the first counter my eyes fell upon.

I rinsed the glass before pouring myself some water and gulping it down in one go. I poured another glass and gulped that down as well.

When I was completely hydrated, I went back to the room but not before gazing at my mate for a couple more minutes.

He was so perfect but that didn't mean that I wasn't scared of him. I somehow knew that he was nice but the 'what if's scared me to no end.

I was so pathetic but I couldn't help it. Pain was all I had ever known for the past 13 years. It was weird to be loved and cared for and it scared me.

Scared me that I would never learn to love and to be loved ever again.

***

I was sitting on the couch present in front of the bed with me facing the window and was just lost in thought when my mate's scent hit my nose.

"Oh, Izzy, you're up? I thought you would sleep at least a little more," he said as I heard his footsteps coming towards me and stopping just a couple steps away from me.

I inwardly sighed and turned to face him. I flinched back when I noticed how close he was but he didn't seem to notice and just stared at me with a weird look in his eyes.

I looked down at my bare feet as I played with my fingers. A small pout formed on my lips before I heard a sigh.

I glanced up to see him going towards the bathroom and I could feel the tension leaving my body with each step he took.

When the door to the bathroom closed, I picked up my phone from the bedside table and quickly found my aunt's number.

After pressing the call button, I put the phone to my ear and waited.

Soon, I heard the familiar click sound and her soothing voice flowed from the speaker.

'Hello? Isabelle? Are you ok? Did your mate do something to you?' She said just as she picked up which made me smile and my heart swelled up with love for her.

"N-No, he didn't d-do anything," yet, I said and heard her sigh on the other end.

'That's good, darling. So, are you eating well? Or is he starving you?' She asked with motherly concern coating her words.

"H-He gives me f-food 3 times a-a day and s-so much food th-that I can't e-even finish it a-all,"

'That he should! You are a growing young girl, you need all the food you can get! Oh, Leah wants to talk to you,' she said as I heard some shuffling before I heard Leah's familiar sniffle.

'Hey, Iz! 'sup? Life, or should I say, mate treatin' you well?' She asked making my smile widen.

"Y-Yeah, so far s-so good. What a-about you, Leah? D-Did you find y-your mate?" I asked, genuinely hoping that she had found her mate and he was treating her well.