112 - Corien and Meira

(A few hours earlier)

One night and day had passed since the party arrived at the Dragon's Crossing. Meya had just returned with the Hadrians from a morn-til-dusk butter-and-slobber fest with nobles and merchants from across the land, when a towering man with glowing green eyes burst into their sitting room.

Most of the room's occupants gawked and blinked, frozen halfway through mundane tasks. Baron Hadrian was prepared. He nodded at the Baroness. She sprang to her feet from where she was sprawled on her couch by the fireplace, banishing people left and right with her jabbing finger. Meanwhile, the Baron welcomed Gillian into the room and joined him around the hilariously petite tea-table.

Gillian seemed lonesome without the usual two dozen dragons flanking him. Dockar, Vitrius and Torbald had departed for Amplevale to investigate the drought, of course. Then, three more left for Jaise with Lady Winterwen to assist her with the eyeless. Two followed to guide Old Angus to Aynor. Three secretly remained in Hyacinth to monitor the remnants of Lasralein's cult. Five headed for the Blue Mountains to gather green vitriol for Zier's surgery. If Freda favored them, they'd also find the Greeneyes trapped in the mines, and lay their crumbling bones to rest.

That left four to keep watch over Zier and Persephia, their prize and prisoner, and Gillian himself to negotiate safe passage to Everglen.

As Persephia and Agnes left the room, so did the two dragons flanking them and two of the Blood Druids. Zier stayed, so did his two dragon wardens. Meya was surprised she, Bishop Riddell and Vyrgil were spared the finger, when even Sir Jarl, Lady Arinel and Lord Frenix (after much whining and foot-stomping) were dismissed. Even as the Baroness should've known Zier would share everything with his sweetheart afterwards.

Once the door had snapped shut and the Baroness had settled down, the Baron took his seat and Gillian followed suit. The remainder coagulated around them.

"No word from your dragons?"

Gillian stared deep into Kellis's unflinching blue eyes.

"And none from your humans." He stated. The Baron sighed. Coris clenched his jittery hands into fists.

"Hasn't been a fortnight since they set out. Even you can't possibly find anything," said Christopher tensely. Coris rested a reassuring hand on his shoulder, then glanced out the window at the sun setting on the glittering cobblestones of Aynor, worry weighing on his eyebrows.

"The Council will convene in secret tomorrow night after the feast," he turned to Gillian, then his father, "Perhaps we should discuss our course of action in the worst case scenario?"

The Baron stroked his golden beard, then raised his eyes to meet Gillian's.

"Do tell us exactly what Persephia wrote to her father."

"The Axel is key to a weapon that will allow dragons to invade Latakia and reclaim Everglen. I shall deliver it to you where the Sands begin and Jaise ends," recited Gillian, word for word from Persephia's memories, no doubt. Probably taken without her or Agnes's knowledge, too. Meya bit her lip in dismay.

"When she didn't show, he brought the matter straight to the King," the Baron concluded, his voice so cold, Meya couldn't help but try to defend the absent Lady Graye,

"She didn't mention Zier or Lattis, at least. That's good, right?" She cast her eyes across the congregation, but received no support. Even Coris shook his head.

"Without mentioning Lattis, there leaves only one motive for Hadrian." The furrow between his brows deepened as their eyes met, "We're traitors conspiring with Nostra to take over Latakia."