3 - Banished

Walking home from the communal pasture took much longer than expected when one was Meya Hild.

The reason? Two words: Marinia Hild.

It was often said all seven Hild children were remarkable in some way. In Marin's case, it was beauty. Such was her beauty that the manor's young men created an unofficial category for her, one higher than Gold: Diamond, meaning she could marry any man in Crosset without paying him a single bronze coin.

Being the only Greeneye in Crosset, Meya also had her unofficial category: Dung. It didn't help that she often reeked of pig droppings, either. The lowest class defined by the law was Pebble.

Either way, she must work hard to save a large dowry. Who cared if hard work in scorching daylight made you look less desirable? Dung, at least, stank less and didn't squish underfoot once laid out to bake in the sun.

Marin should be able to marry early if it wasn't for Dad. Like most pretty maidens, Marin wasn't allowed to work outdoors, forced to spend her days inside the house, helping Mum with light housework. If her skin were any fairer, Meya swore she could have scraped lead white off it and sold the powder to wealthy women in Meriton.

It was difficult for young lads of marriageable age to gain purchase on Marin. The solution? Two words: Meya Hild.

Every evening, Meya would saunter through the village, trundling a wheelbarrow full of hens, trailing a pig on a leash, receiving letters, flowers, jewelry and food to pass to Marin. For a fee, of course. Perhaps once them knuckleheads had learned to stop calling her attention with "Oi, Dung!", she'd deign to do it for free.

The inflow of young men trickled to a stop a minute's walk from Hild Cottage. Dad had armed himself with a sickle tied to a broom handle, sharpened at the ready for gutting. Suitors knew to give the house a wide berth.

Meya put Hanna and the chicken back in their homes, left the wheelbarrow beside the coop, heaved up the bulging sack, then trudged to the door.

The instant she entered, a confused din of greetings befell her from the family crowded around the pot hanging over the fire in the hearth.

"Have you latched the coop door?" Mum asked, as always, worrying about every wee thing in the three lands except Meya's wellbeing.

"You alright, Meya?" Maro made no move to hide his concern, which was why Maro would always be her favorite brother.

"Any bullies at the pasture today?" Marin demanded. Meya guessed she would've gotten along with Marin, too, had her skin not been so white it glowed in the firelight.

"Where's your collar?" Morel, on the other hand, couldn't give less damn.

"Is it true you kicked Gregor Krulstaff in the crotch?" Marcus abandoned his bowl and darted over.

"What's that you got there?" Myron pointed to her sack.

"Show me your hands!" Mistral squealed, eyes sparkling with delight.

Dad made no move to acknowledge Meya's return. Only when Mum made to hand her a bread bowl did he growl between mouthfuls of bread and vegetable stew,

"No dinner, Alanna."

"Please, Dad. She was just trying to help out." Marcus pleaded.

"Quiet, Marcus."

Dad had already told them about the Ice Pillory. Just as well. It saved Meya the trouble. After a deep breath, Meya rattled off answers to their questions,