33 - Jezia's Message

Coris had disappeared, but his four noble friends hadn't moved a finger. They stared transfixed at the door as if listening, waiting for the sound of his footsteps to die away out of respect. Finally, they turned their focus to Arinel and Meya, their eyes narrowed in suspicion.

The two girls shared a look. Meya pleaded through her eyes. Sighing, Arinel turned to face her fellow nobles in her stead,

"I believe we haven't had a proper introduction." She offered timidly, her hands wringing.

"Perhaps we can, once we've rid ourselves of these torture devices," said Christopher crossly. Perhaps he would've seemed crosser without clothespins jutting from his ears.

Oh, those.

Meya sprang up, strode to the door and bolted it.

"There, milords and ladies. You'll have ample time to resume your positions before Lord Coris enters."

Four pairs of blinking eyes followed Meya as she headed back to her seat at Coris's desk. Simon was the first to smile.

"We've added a kindred soul to our ranks. Welcome to Hadrian." He said triumphantly as he plucked off the clothespins. Fione nodded as she, too, freed her ears. Clasping her hands in prayer, she gazed dreamily at the ceiling,

"Aw, this would exasperate Coris." She turned to Heloise, who churned her lips in dismay,

"Remember that time on Fool's Week when we locked him out and sling-shot his silk underpants down the garderobe? By Freda, that was some smooth sailing. Wouldn't you agree, Meya?"

Meya blushed at the inkling in Fione's twinkling blue eyes. Until Coris disrobed before her on that First Night, she didn't believe anyone would actually have his jewels wrapped in silk.

Yeah, he definitely had it coming.

"Wonder whose stroke of genius that was." Christopher muttered. Heloise shook her head,

"You could just have us read your letter for you." She gestured at Meya, sending her bracelet swinging on her wrist. Meya marveled at its rainbow gleam until the sunlight glare momentarily blinded her,

"I thought of that, milady, but you know Lord Coris better than I do, and even I know he'll have ways to see if I actually know the words on this thing." She waggled Jezia's letter, then slapped it onto the desk.

"Fair point," Heloise sighed and continued her lines in resignation. Christopher followed suit. Meanwhile, Simon and Fione had drifted off to gather around Meya, admiring her constipated grimace as she struggled to identify an alphabet.

Meya glanced between her letter and a piece of parchment upon which Coris had listed out the letters,

"Er...is this...bah?" She asked, tapping her finger on the letter. Arinel shook her head,

"No, it's hah, like Hild."

With a growl of frustration, Meya smacked her face on the letter, startling Arinel. She mussed up her hair, now tied back in a simple loose ponytail; Haselle wasn't yet called in to weave her plaids.

"How long will it take to read all this? I can't even remember the letters!"

"Long enough for ears to rot from obstruction of the humors," Simon quipped, then hollered at his two glowering friends, "Would you take a break and come help? I don't see this reciting the Scriptures anytime soon."

"I'm sorry. I'm a dungbrained peasant girl." Meya moaned, her voice muffled by the wood of the desk, as Arinel squeezed her shoulder in encouragement. Christopher and Heloise shared a look, then sighed and traipsed over, plucking out their clothespins along the way.