10 - The Wedding

After the lengthy dinner, Meya returned to her guest quarters to rehearse her vows with Gretella, Arinel and Haselle. They then tucked her in bed early.

She'd barely drifted off to a troubled dream when she was woken up by a gaggle of harried maids. They led her stumbling and yawning through the darkness into a wooden bathtub filled with milk and perfumed with rose petals, then proceeded to scrub a layer of skin off her.

Meya was too sleepy for modesty. By the time she was awake enough, she found herself sitting before a rectangular slab of glass about a head taller than her.

Trapped within it was a wide-eyed, freckle-faced girl sitting on the same chair Meya was sitting on. A storm of maids bustled around her like overgrown bees, gathering her hair, decorating her face with color and powder.

"It's called a mirror," hissed Arinel as she tugged a comb through Meya's damp, tangled hair. Meya snapped her gaping mouth shut, remembering Hadrian maids were also present.

Jason once told her mirrors were glass painted with silver on one side. For obvious reasons, her family didn't own one.

Once the last strand of hair had been coiled and the last spot of freckle covered, the maids bowed and retreated from the room. Only Gretella, Arinel and Haselle were left standing by Meya.

"Stand up. Turn around."

Gretella commanded. Haselle helped Meya up from her seat, then stepped back as she twirled round and round. Meya had only meant to twirl once, but the smooth caress of silk on her legs, as her dress danced with her, was intoxicating—until her flower crown flew off her head and smacked Haselle full in the face.

"Enough—enough!" Gretella waved in exasperation as Haselle giggled and fixed the crown back on a sheepishly smiling Meya's head. The old nurse turned to consult the water clock on the far wall with a huff, haughty as ever,

"Very well. We still have time for you to...familiarize yourself with the mirror. We'll give you a call when it's time."

With that, the three women glided away. The heavy wooden door swung shut behind them, leaving Meya alone with her reflection.

Meya ran her fingers through the long golden locks reaching to her waists, and gave them a playful toss. She raised her long blue silk tunic just enough for the hems to leave the floor, then twisted left and right, studying her figure.

The golden and silvery patterns sewn onto her blue dress shimmered in the morning light filtered through the stained-glass windows. The delicate white veil trailing from her crown of orange blossoms was lopsided, so she adjusted it.

Meya's lips twitched into a wan smile as she admired her reflection. For the first time in her life, she felt beautiful enough to walk alongside her sisters.

If only her family could see her now. She'd so love to see the look on Morel's face when she heard about the lavish feasts, flowing silk dresses and warm milk baths Meya was enjoying. Not to mention marrying a Lord. Not just any Lord either—the Hadrian heir, no less!

Meya's savage glee was short-lived, however. Would Dad approve of what she did? He'd never agreed with anything she came up with. He'd frown at how she manipulated Arinel and usurped her identity, but what would he rather she have done? Nothing? She might not even be alive, for all she knew.

Though Meya told herself she was just trying to coax Arinel into cooperating, deep down, she had meant to become the Lady herself. Well, why not? She could do better, much better, with Arinel's name than the Lady herself. It was the chance of a lifetime. To live the life thousands could only dream of.