Chapter Two

Chapter Two

Pressing a hand to her head Cam wanted to know what deity she'd offended.

Just as she'd gotten a plan of action together for her next step she'd been dragged away by some secret soldiers and knocked out.

Still groggy, she was staring at the ceiling in dark amusement. This definitely had to be a book world because the drama was over the top.

"Madame, she's only recently awoken," a bright voice spoke beyond the closed doors.

"Good, then I will see her now."

The doors were slid aside, and Cam forced herself to sit up. One of the servants who'd entered walked over to her and assisted her to lean back against the back rest of the bed.

The woman who she assumed to be the Madame approached the side of her bed, soft smell of wind and flower following her. Her robes were intricately woven with peonies and birds. Her pale skin was unblemished, and her every movement was filled with tightly controlled grace. Taking seat she observe Cam, her own expression carefully blank for a slight smile that decorated her slips.

"I first wish to apologies on behalf of my men, they described to me how they acquired you and I can only say it's due to our desperation that they committed such an act."

Cam snorted, "Ah, sure apologies have always been acceptable in the face of kidnapping."

"How dare you!" One of the servants stepped forward angrily. "Watch you're mouth peasant, our madame is—,"

The madame raised her hand, cutting the servants angry words short. "Enough."

Cam leaned back not feeling phased by the servants outburst. "She's fine to be angry on your behalf...Madame, but it's still kidnapping so—rather than an apology I would more be interested in the reason behind it."

The madame frowned at the girl who sat across from her. Brown eyes, brown skin, yellow hair from starvation and a few of her scars peaked from her rough woven clothing. Her body was woefully thin, and yet those brown eyes sparkled with life and her pose was relaxed and there was even a slight tinge of annoyance between her brows.

She wondered what made this girl so confident.

"I required a woman to marry my son."

"Ah, marriage seeing your appearance and servants I can't help but wonder what must push you to grab a random woman from the road."

For some reason, Madame find herself being honest when speaking to the girl in front of her. "My son is going to be banished, he's being held in dungeon in the capital, and I've learned he's to be exiled to the boarder. To serve as guard there, it's rough and dangerous place." 

She pressed her lips together as she felt her heart tighten at the memory of when she'd last seen her son. Broken, and dead eyed as he learned how he'd been betrayed by those who'd he trusted. The woman he'd sworn to protect had chosen his enemy, and his enemy rather than take his life had forced him to live protecting the border till his last breath. Away from her, and everything he knew. And who would follow an injured man into a war zone coveted by barbarians.

"If I agree to marry him, what can you give me?"

Cam was a realist, she didn't want to eek out an existence in a small village. Sure, she could develop a product and develop it, try to copy those other reincarnated characters and slowly build her influence while fighting off and face slapping her enemies.

But she wouldn't, why?

Cause she was lazy!

Why should she have to scrape and fight her way to the top, when she didn't even want to be on top? Just well fed, and taken care of.