Chapter Five

A/N: Her outfit

A/N: Her outfit. 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Chapter Five

Yuechan

Yuechan waited for Lu Yuxuan to say something, anything but he didn't. Instead, he silently stared down at her with a stony expression that was hard to read.

"Is there something wrong?"

Lashes lowering, he cleared his throat, "No. I wasn't expecting my bride to be as...pretty as you are."

Taken aback by his compliment she softly laughed.

Flustered he looked away from her. "Are you leaving now that I've done as yu wished?"

"Yes, since you've agreed to the marriage and removed my veil. I will now return to the Lu residence and await the emperor's ruling." She gave a short curtsy, and turned to leave.

Lu Yuxuan watched her go his expression complicated. This new bride wasn't simple but in comparison to the women he'd dealt with and the foxes of court she couldn't be nearly as calculating.

In reaction to his thoughts, he tightened his fist, and feeling something soft he remembered he still had her silken veil. Not thinking, he drew it up to his nose and inhaled. A soft, sweet scent invaded his nose and the tension that been running through him melted away and he drew it back glancing around he quickly stuffed into his shirt. If she didn't ask for it's return he would continue to hold on to it.

Lu Yuxuan ignored the way his heart pounded at the thought of seeing his wife once more.

~~

Yuechan collected her father-in-law at the exit of the dungeon and together they left.

"He agreed," Lu Yize repeated appearing surprised by his son giving in.

She nodded, as the reached the bottom of the stairs. "It would seem that he much rather challenges himself then falling into despair. A good trait for a man to have."

Lu Yize acknowledged this with a low hum. "You are right. Ever since it was leaked to us what the crown prince had asked the emperor. We scrambled to gather the necessary things for him, when the Wu girl broke their engagement, at the time I worried; but now I see it was a good thing. She would not be able to endure being so long away from the capital, and she could also have been a detriment to him rather than a partner."

He turned to face Yuechan fully, his expression showing fondness and relief. "Tomorrow, the decree will be brought to the main house and they will demand those of his immediate family to leave with him. A wife, and anyone who serves him." He gathered her hands together in his, his expression solemn. "I would have you know, that I'm grateful beyond measure for you doing this for our family and becoming my daughter."