lost in nostalgia

And you're wishing that I'd take time
To try again, to lie again
And say that our wings could fly again
No, no, no
There's a new love that's waiting for you, love
I don't believe I'm what you need
You go from me

៚ • twenty eight
៚ • bronx, ny
៚ • 12pm
៚ • samaria bryant

"Oh my gosh girl it's been forever," Jaliya exclaimed as we met by the front doors of school.

"It really has!" I exclaimed pulling her into a hug.

"Chick-fil-a?" She asked as we walked out the school.

"You already knowwwww." I replied as we made our way to the train station.

We had a 1 hour free period and then a 30 minute lunch, so we were going to take a short trip to 125th street to get food. That chick-fil-a is such a hot mess and them workers be pissing me but it's the closest chick-fil-a and the food is mad good.

"So what does it feel like to be in a relationship Samaria?" Jaliya asked as we rounded the block.

"Life is full of puppies and butterflies and rainbows, and my life feels like a black romcom from the 2000's," I replied and she side-eyed me.

"I'm just playingggg, I'm getting used to our new dynamic but it's been really nice. I genuinely just feel like I'm dating my best friend but now we kiss and stuff now." I lightly chuckled.

"Because you are just dating your best friend. You both have loved each other heavy for years and now you get to grow your love in a different way. It took y'all forever to realize but I digress."

"Yeah not too much on us though. At least we made it here, that's what matters."

"So like is he ever gonna post you as his girlfriend?"

"I don't wanna be posted."

"How come?"

"Cause people gonna be like ohhh that's his best friend they was probably doing stuff on the low whole time. I just don't wanna be looked at funny in the halls or dmed by anybody."

"Girl you really think people would think that deep?"

"Trust me they would bro, and honestly I'd rather people come up with their own volitions. But maybe I am overreacting a little bit."

"You definitely are girl. If Bryson decides he wanna post you, I really doubt he's gonna be caring about what any of these niggas gotta say."

"HE doesn't have to care, he's a boy. All the boys are just gonna think he got it like that. Meanwhile I have to care because I'm a girl. And those same boys that praised him are gonna call me a hoe and think that I been running around doing shit with him while he was in past relationships. Oh, and his ex Azealia is bonkers."

"I truly hate the double standards of this world." Jaliya replied as we walked into the train station.

"But also Samaria, I completely understand how you're feeling. But at the end of the day you can't let everyone's thoughts keep you from letting Bryson show you off as his girlfriend. It's only instagram."

"That's the other thing! I know it's only Instagram but I know people who take it more seriously, and I'm trying to avoid giving those people space to talk about me."

"People are gonna talk regardless. If they find out y'all dating in real life they will still talk Samaria. That's just what happens when you date the boy you've been attached to the hip to as friends for the past 6 years."

"You're right...but also I realized that I was living in a fantasy world where for some reason I thought having a boyfriend would solve all my problems. Yeah I was really lying to myself, all those romance books got to my head. Only person who could solve all my problems is God, and I'm definitely not as dedicated as I should be."