Backstories (Pt. 3)

Janet POV
"So...what was the point of the reminiscing you just asked Jessie to do?" Sandy dragged out.

"That's part of our plan!" I answered confidently, scrolling through the school blog.

"Which is..." Jessie promoted in the same manner.

"Fang was nice, humble and kind back then. He was weak too. All we need to do is reveal his rue self right now, turn all his allies against him, and he'll learn a lesson." I summarised.

Leon tapped me on the shoulder, and as I stared into his beautiful brown eyes, I barely heard him say, "You do realise how impossible that's gonna be, right? How are we going to convince the whole school that he's not a good person, when he's already blinded and dazzled all of them with his charisma and lies?"

I was suddenly blinded by some mental image that swept through me.

"I'm sorry," The familiar blue-haired figure whispered through the darkness. "Maybe I should've listened. I was wrong, after all. And all of that hell, all of that pain, all of that grief, it was...a mistake."

The fire raged around me and burned the earth with his fury, the clashing of swords ringing out and mingling with furious battle cries.

Still I refused to look into his eyes. But maybe I was holding on to my bias for too long.

"Please. If you're going to trust me once in your life, let it be this time..." he begged.

She followed him.

I shook my head and whispered, "Woah, what was that?"

"What was what?" Jessie asked in confusion. Leon was peering around, searching for any signs of danger.

"Nothing...I just saw a very weird scene inside my head. It's probably just a hallucination," I dismissed.

But deep down, I knew it was something darker.

Fang POV
"So, that's why you're so angry at Janet?" Bibi outlined.

"Yes." I replied simply.

"Fang, isn't that a bit crazy?" Bibi asked. "I mean, maybe she didn't mean it. Maybe it was a mistake. After all, if it was you, wouldn't you laugh too? And even though she helped, maybe that was fate. For me to meet you. Do we really need to resort to such drastic measures?"

Now that she said it like that, it did feel a little ridiculous. But no, I had to stick by my principles.

"Back then, I was too soft. Too happy. Too nice. Too kind. People took advantage of me, and treated me as a pushover. Now, people respect me. They are amazed, but intimidated. Just enough for me to exercise control over all of them, so no one will dare to do that ever again. And now I have the throne. I'm not going to lose it by showing I'm still weak, by letting Janet slip by," I explained softly. "Because I don't want my rule crashing down on me again, and I don't want to be humiliated again."

"Are you sure? Maybe you can go a little lighter on her..." Bibi whispered, touching my cheek. "If you kill her, she can't respawn outside arenas."

"That's good," I snarled.

"No, it isn't, Fang," Bibi said. "You'll get charged for murder. And remember, only the Supreme Court votes on cases like those, and your father can't do anything to help."

"Fine. I don't need to kill her. I just need to make her unhappy all the time, like she did to me." I reluctantly agreed. Partly because of my love for Bibi. Partly because I knew she was right.

Suddenly, I gasped and something like a knife sliced through my mind. A hazy projection swirled around as I collapsed on the floor.

Fire. Disappointment. Guilt. Shock. Hurt. Anger. Disbelief. That was a giant flurry of emotions racing through my heart as I glanced at the mess everywhere, result of the great battle. Rubble was everywhere, and blazes were rampant. All I could see, lined with dead bodies and injured figures. Arsenals of weapons lay around, and I quickly grabbed a sword to protect myself and her.

I had made a giant mistake. Two. For trusting her. And for harming her.

I turned to the girl behind me, who was glaring away.

We weren't going to survive like this.