The Traitor (Pt. 1)

EMZ POV
Five minutes earlier...
I had escaped down a narrow hallway and emerged in a dimly lit garden of our high school, very close to the entrance, where the war had first began. Dozens of dead people see all around, more than the current battle site. I instantly recognised a number of my friends, lying dead in the mess. Barley. Sprout. Gene. I wished I could help. But it was way too late already.

So I surveyed the destruction and hoped that soon, everything would be fixed. So that our world could recover from this devastating blow. And cherish the memories of those who had fallen.

Whoever was responsible for this, I would find them. And destroy them.

Fang POV
"No! Janet, wake up!" I cried, shaking her desperately. The love I had just found couldn't disappear, not that fast. No. Please, no.

I continued to rock her a bit violently, and fortunately, her eyes fluttered open.

Her face was covered in bruises, her legs scratched with bloody stains and she looked a bit banged up. But otherwise, she was okay, thankfully.

"Fang? What are you doing here?" She demanded suspiciously.

"I found you in this mess, so I woke you up," I said softly, melting into her gaze. Even though it was a harsh one.

She groaned and turned away. "Where are the rest?"

"I don't know. Only found you so far."

"Don't act like it was such a good thing!" She suddenly snapped, making me confused. She glared before she looked away at the setting sun, muttering to herself incoherently.

I followed her gaze, but all I found was grief. Fire. Disappointment. Guilt. Shock. Hurt. Anger. Disbelief. Destruction was widespread, and tongued of flame were burning the school to ash. All I could see from here was a long stretch of collapsed buildings and broken chunks of stone, lined with dead bodies and injured figures. Arsenals of weapons lay around, and I quickly grabbed a sword to protect myself and her.

I had made a giant mistake. For harming her just because I had overreacted.

I looked at back at the girl in front of me, angrily staring in another direction.

We weren't going to survive like this.

Janet POV
"I'm sorry," Fang whispered through the darkness, his voice a melodic one, one that I hated myself for loving. "Maybe I should've controlled my own feelings. I was wrong, after all. And all of that hell, all of that pain, all of that grief, it was just my overreaction."

The fire raged around me and burned the earth with his fury, the clashing of swords ringing out from far away and mingling with furious battle cries.

Still I refused to look into his eyes. But maybe I was holding on to my bias for too long.

"Please. If you're going to trust me once in your life, let it be this time..." he begged. "Just trust me once. So that we won't be killed."

He was right. I guess I need to trust him. Not easy. But I think he truly wanted to help. So I grabbed a shield and a bokken, and trailed after him, carefully glancing around.

EMZ POV
I was busy watching the sunset and thinking about my next move, hoping I could find a solution to our crisis and the war. We couldn't all die. Not like this.

Suddenly, I heard a footstep behind me. I whirled around, raising my spray to defend myself. But nobody was there. Maybe I was imagining things. After all, the only people here had all been killed.

I shuddered with the thought, struggling to get rid of the mental image when the soft hiss of a swishing blade came from behind me, and next thing I knew, I had been stabbed in my forearm. And a torrent of red streamed out.